Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please raise your hand if it was you! Pork Cakes

Options
boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273

Sometime over the past couple of weeks someone posted about using pulled pork, mixed with cream cheese and onions to make patties that were cooked.   Wanted to reference that post to give credit for the idea - but couldn't find it.

Did a variation as a test last weekend - had some guests and served a plate of the patties and asked for feedback.   As I was doing some other tasks on the other side of the island, people were standing around the island sampling with forks - didn't hear a lot of feedback - but 4 minutes later the plate ( with 6 slider + patties were gone - I got one taste.   Summary of the feedback was excellent.

I did them again the next night for wife and I.   Loved them.   Not a pretty presentation ( they didn't last long enough)...   but here is my variation on the idea.

Chopped pulled pork

mixed bbq sauce - less than 1/4 cup

Some really softened cream cheese, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the 8oz bar.

1/2 cup of Panko crumbs

5 chopped green onions

Stirred the mixture well, adjusted some components till I had a composition that would stay formed as a patty.

Refrigerated for an hour ( hoping to help keep the patty together better for the next phases).

Dizzy Pig sprinkled on both sides

beat an egg in a small bowl.  Dipped the patty in the egg mixture, then into a bowl of panko crumbs that had grated parmesan cheese ( the Green Can stuff).

Heated a griddle up, cooked on each side till browning well ( about 4-5 minutes per side), checked internal with thermapen - got it to over 180 in the middle.

As toppings, we tried couple of different mustards, bbq sauce, nothing at all - and - our absolute favorite Blueberry Jam.   Wow, the Jam set them free.

I think it would work just as well with brisket - though the toppings might change.

imageimageimage
Cookin in Texas

Comments

• CigarSmokinEgger
    Options
    I stole it from an episode of Unique Eats which covered the appetizer from Squeal Bar-B-Q in New Orleans so I can't claim it as my own, but I got the same results you did!  I have the recipe now locked down in my little black book and will be a go-to for leftover pulled pork :)
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    =D> ^:)^ Another reason why pulled pork is a great cook. Nicely executed.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • CigarSmokinEgger
    Options

Forgot to add that I topped mine with a mixture of sour cream and siracha (to taste) with a fresh tomatillo sauce.  The restaurant did theirs with the sour cream mixture and a fresh pico/salsa.

For the actual cakes, I mixed 2 cups pork, 4 oz. cream cheese and sautéed green peppers, onions and garlic. 

Yours look great!