Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoke color

Options
Is this the color you want the smoke to be? The glove is to show the color of the smoke against a black back ground.
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I can't tell from the picture. Are you talking about burn off or chunk smoke? I usually burn off 30 minutes... More beer time.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    The smell is pretty good to go by also "if it smells good ,it is good" . If the smoke doesn't hace the acrid smell you should be good to go.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Options
    If that's just your lump (no wood chunks), I'd say that doesn't look good and likely doesn't smell good.  
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    That's wood chunks about 1 hr after the lump was lit
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I let my lump burn clean, clear or no smoke. Then add wood. I add the meat as soon as the wood goes in.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    As a general rule, you want dark grey or invisible smoke if you just have lump burning.  Usually the smoke will smell good when it stops billowing white.  But if you add smoke wood, it's not a hard rule - you're gonna see some white smoke.  That's water cooking off the smoke wood.

I just smell the smoke every know and then after I light.  When it smells good, the food will taste good.
    Options
    That's wood chunks about 1 hr after the lump was lit
    In that case, you're good!!!!!