Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finish Question: Cabot's Australian Timber Oil vs. Epifanes Clear Spar Varnish on cedar table

Crispy
Crispy Posts: 12
edited June 2013 in EGG Table Forum
Hi folks!
New EGGer here with very basic wood skills and tools here. I've started with a simplistic version the the Whiz's table plans using cedar.

My essential question: are there pro's or con's associated with either using the timber oil vs the marine grade spar varnish?

Other factors: My table is not 'furniture grade', but rather 'work table grade'. It will be smooth to prevent splinters, but it has exposed screws and since this was my first ever jigsaw cut, my circle is far from perfect. No worries, I'm not out to win a contest. However, I'm looking for minimal long-term maintenance as well as short term functionality with my choice.

My biggest goal is the get the EGG off the ground (paranoid visions of kids playing near it and shattered green-glazed ceramic chunks are waking me up at night!) so that I can truly relax and enjoy it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts (or corrections to the forum where this is already answered. After hours of Google I've yet to locate an answer!)

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    HI @Crispy... sorry, I don't know the answer to your finish question but, I did want to welcome you to the board. Looking forward to your future contributions!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2013
    I used the OZ Timber Oil on a deck in my last house. It was great to work with and stood up well. We were only there for a few years so I didn't have to re-coat. As I remember you could re-coat without any prep work.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    If u have not done it u can use a router and round over or bevel all edges 1/4 inch. makes nice look. including hole for egg.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    I am getting to use spar. Will be the 1st time for me.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• onelikearock
    onelikearock Posts: 115
    In my furniture making I always used an oil finish hand rubbed coat after coat. On my bge table I used a marine spar varnish. Very durable.
    Chesapeake, VA
  • Crispy
    Crispy Posts: 12
    In the end, it came down to convenience. I'm pretty landlocked and can't seem to find spar anyplace around me, yet both the Lowe's and the Menard's down the road carry Cabot's Aussie Oil. Rather than mess around with special orders, I'm gonna stick with Cabot's and see how it rolls.

I appreciate the feedback and the welcome!
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    I built a table for my deck out of cedar and stained it with the Oz Timber Oil....Honey Teak. I like the stuff, works well on PT wood too.