Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal oak vs gfs "royal oak"

The first lump I used was a gfs 20 lb bag which supposedly is royal oak. It seemed to burn well but there were a lot of small pieces. Well menads had the green bag royal oak on sale so I stocked up a little...(10 bags). Today I did an 8 hour butt cook and here's what I noticed: royal oak has HUGE pieces compared to gfs only minimal small pieces in comparison. It also seemed to burn a little slower and less ash. Has anyone else used both?

Comments

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    GFS was my go to for over 1 1/2 yrs, then got frustrated with the high amount of under-charred pieces which leads to a long time burn off of "bad" smoke also found lots of insulation (fiberglass type) and neighbor found a large metal strap, don't just pour that stuff in your grill and light, sift thru it some.  Bought red royal oak 17.6 lb bags from wally world and they are better but still found some, although less, under-charred wood and fiberglass insulation.  I also now check that pretty closely.  As to piece size both had decent assortment of sizes.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • EgginMisfit
    EgginMisfit Posts: 45
    edited June 2013
    There's only green 8.8 lb royal oak around here but I'm liking it so far. I haven't seen any weird stuff in my first bag. There is wicked good locally but it's 22$ for a 20lb bag. To pricey for me at this point
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    BTW, I have confirmed GFS is made by Royal Oak.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • Ah ok. I either got a bag with mostly small pieces or that is what gfs gets from royal since its "food grade" lump
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Ah ok. I either got a bag with mostly small pieces or that is what gfs gets from royal since its "food grade" lump

Try this test:  Buy two bags of the same kind of lump.  Take one bag and throw it down on the ground ten times.  Now open both of them up and compare the sizes of the lump??

• Yes that's understandable but I also picked through the GFS to find a very crisp looking bag in hopes of having good size pieces.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I don't see any difference in my egg's operation regardless of the size of lump.  I always pour it in right from the bag, never sort or stack pieces neither.