Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum food sealers

Options
Fire in the Hole
Fire in the Hole Posts: 128
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm looking to invest in a vacuum food sealer. I know several of the members have discussed them here in the past. What brands, models and features should I be looking for? What are the pros and cons of the models that you currently own or have tried?[p]I expect to use mine to store pulled pork and other bulk foods in freezer in smaller portions as well as pre-portioning out meals.[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,
    My recommendation is to get a middle of the line food saver by Tilia. If you only want to use it occasionally thats what I would get, as long as it has the manual "seal now" button option.
    I got the cheaper one without that option, and I wish I would have gotten it, cause sometimes it keeps on sucking out the air, and liquids, (a no-no), and I wish I could just stop it, right then and there! :)
    So while all work good, some are just easier than others. Get one with a manual seal button! You won't regret it.
    later,
    ron.

• OctoberGlory
    Options
    I agree with Ron - you'll want that manual seal button. I've got an older machine and I use the manual seal button often.

I like to smoke two chickens at once. We'll de-bone them; make a meal then vacuum seal the leftovers in two cup bags for the freezer. There are many chicken recipes that call for 2 cups of cooked chicken so we're good to go.

I also like the jar sealing attachment. Brunswick stew, chili and soups all go into Ball Mason jars. I then vacuum seal them and they go in the freezer. Very convenient…

OctoberGlory
  • Fishkiller
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,
    We bought a new model that "flips-up" so that it stores easier. It has all of the features that ChefRD recommended in his post, and a moist mode too to seal wet food. We are really happy with the purchase. I'll try to include the info pic so that you can see what it looks like, the model number is V2860. I have not found any cons yet and have used it @20 times in 2 weeks. HTH
    fishkiller

[ul][li]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/h2ofreak/k5493.jpg[/ul]
  • The Reverand
    Options
    Fire in the Hole,[p]I bought a Tilia Professional II model many years ago. It has a manual seal button, a self-contained well to hold the roll of bags, adjustable vacuum strengths, a "one touch seal" feature, and a built in cutter. At the same time my boss bought a somewhat cheaper one without those features; as he said smugly "I can cut bags with a scissors". I, too, thought those things were luxuries...not any more. I can pull out the length bag needed, seal and cut the end of the bag, roll the remaining bag material back into its well, set the vacuum dial, fill the bag, one touch sealing and its done. No need for scissors or to hold the button down when you seal the bag. These may seem like luxuries you can do without (and lots of people do) but if they don't cost too much more, I'd suggest going for them.[p]I don't think they make that model anymore, but I agree with ChefRD on the manual seal button. The newer ones, like the one fishkiller mentions, probably have these features and more. [p]If you shop around you can find ones with more features that aren't that much more expensive. My only experience has been with the Professional II, but it's been a good one, unlike my former boss.[p]Peace
  • Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Thanks for the good replies. I actually aquired a Tilia Professional II on eBay for a cool $75 last night. Based upon the replies here, it appears to be a popular model and has the features that each of you recommend. The Professional II does appear to be a discontinued model but this one certainly fits in my budget for the purchase of this device.[p]The model that follows the Professional II appears to be basically the same except for the addition of a second vacuum motor, so I am assuming that Tilia was happy with the original design and just needed to add some feature to keep the model fresh.[p]Thanks!!

• badbruce
    Options

Mornin' Fire in the Hole,
    Our FoodSaver Pro 2 just gave up the ghost due to liquid getting into the pump, after 18 months of reg. use. I brine a lot of meats hence the liquid.
    The nice thing is Tilia is sending us a reconditioned one for $50 rather than selling us a brand new one.
    Forewarned is, well you know,
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    badbruce,[p]Liquid in pump = BAD.[p]Tilia customer service = GOOD.[p]Noted and filed.[p]Thanks for the heads up![p]:)[p]Side note: My neighbor has already called dibs on using my new FoodSaver to package the meat from the deer he hopes to bag this season. Of course, he has already inquired about how well the egg can smoke some of that meat as well.[p]:)