Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I NEED SOME HELP FROM MY BROTHERS

2»

Comments

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    i agree with doc
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    If money doesn't matter, the BGE set is really nice.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463

I got this set as a birthday gift a few years back. At first I laughed, then I got a little miffed that someone spent this much on tools.  That said, turned out to be a very nice gift that I really like using (except the brush), even though I'd probably never buy it for myself. They're also currently on sale for 10% off with free shipping.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/1055045/?catalogId=18&bnrid=3120901&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Outdoor&cm_pla=Grill_Tools_&_Accessories&cm_ite=Williams-Sonoma_BBQ_Tool_Set&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=31-168226369-2

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I received this as a present after I got my Egg, its great for taking to the Eggtoberfest and has everything you will need.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Annual summer sale at Williams-Sonoma, a lot of fluff, but also some good quality pieces on sale. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/outdoor/outdoor-promo/
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited June 2013
    You will eventually look at the stuff you collect, and wonder at the ones you never use anymore.  My personal inventory: lump reducers - just pile the lump where you want it; apple rings - just put them on the grid; fish basket - ditto, just on the grid; meat ball basket - just a mistake but maybe I'll find a use for it; injectors - decided I don't like the technique, ditto with vertical chicken racks; various baskets, grids, racks - I like my WS veggie baskets for any basket cooks and found most racks were unnecessary.   What do I use all the time?  My BGE meat hook thingie, asparagus clips, WS big forks, WS baskets, assorted tongs, meat wires and skewers, THERMAPEN, Woo, various stones, Webber small grids and bricks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I have a long set of tongs (16") that I use for most everything except burgers.  I got them at a restaurant supply place on the net about 5 years ago.  Throw them in the dishwasher after I use them.  The white handled spatulas/flippers from Sam's are great. The blades are very long and one is solid while the other has perforations.  I think they were $8 for the set.  I also have a long handled silicone brush for basting.  It works fine and has held up well over the years.   I also have a drawer that is filled with "BBQ" tools that I don't really use any more.  I bought a nice SS set of Jenn Air branded tools, but I really have never used the bbq fork and the tongs are nice and long, but are very heavy and cumbersome to use.  The spatula is ok, but again, the ones from Sam's just work better.  So, my vote is for long tongs, Sam's flipper set and a silicone basting brush:)
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    After thinking about what you guys have said, I am going to get the heaviest duty set of tongs, a heavy duty long spatula, and maybe a long fork. I for sure would not use the useless things that come in some sets. Thanks a bunch guys.

-KCCO

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• +1 on the restaurant and/or chef's supply store.  We have a store called Bresco here in BHM.  That is where almost all of my utensils came from.  I buy these black handled tongs that work great on anything up to 4 or 5 lbs or so.  I also bought a very heavy duty long fork there.  The prongs are so sharp I have to keep them covered with a wine cork cut in half.  I don't like using a fork on things but this will pick up or turn over anything you want to cook with absolutely zero bending or flexing.  It's almost more of a weapon than a fork!  Down side, it was not cheap at all.
    Sometimes I skip the water.