Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Check those thermometers!

2»

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I would say one or both needs a little adjusting??? I couldn't get the one off my XL. Got it taken care of and thanks for the reminder and advice
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Both maverick probes were spot on. Weber digital thermometer also right on. However, dome thermo was 50 degrees off. Go figure
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

As was mentioned quite some time ago, the best thing to do with the thermo clips to toss it!

It really doesn't do any good, gravity keeps the thermo in the dome just fine.  The clip just makes it a bit more work to remove the thermo for checking calibration.  No clip on either my large or mini thermos.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Thanks for this thread! Mine was 20 degrees off. Adjusted it up and spatched some chicken last night. Then made that chicken into the best chicken salad I have ever made!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • nemo
    nemo Posts: 113
    Haven't checked mine in 2 years...based on above comments, thought it best to take a peek. Placed tip in boiling water....hit and held at 100C.  Guess I'm lucky...but I always cook to temp with my trusty Thermapen.
    Fairview, Texas
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Just dawned on me, duhhhhhhhh............we are at our little hideaway on the Oregon Coast.

Sea level, where handier place to check thermo calibrarion without figuring in elevation?  There aint any!

B-)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm at 12' above sea level.  Much of new orleans is below.
    Then made that chicken into the best chicken salad I have ever made!!
    Second that. We did the same thing with our leftover Spatchcocked chicken and it was fantastic. Just enough smokey flavor to make it unique. 

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    One use I find for the clip-I turn the dome thermo so that my target temp is always at 12 o'clock.  That way I just see where the needle is relative to vertical and I'm good.  Clip offers enough resistance to keep it there-wine cork on the outside does the same if I need to elevate the thermo. YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Aviator said:

Also, anecdotal, but I did a little test the other day when calibrating. Without the cork, I immersed more than half of the probe in water and adjusted to 212. Then I put it through a cork and then mimicked the probe being shorter into the dome, only about and inch and a half in water, there was a significant difference in the reading. Pulled the cork out and perfect. Anyone else notice this?

Had the same happen here.  I was using half of a cork for more dome space during pizza cooks.  Kept it that way and found my cook times to be way quicker than normal.  When I checked the probe, it was fine if it was deep into the boiling water but at the very tip, the temp was off.  Have not used the cork since; probe is normal depth and cooks are back on track!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Aviator said:

Also, anecdotal, but I did a little test the other day when calibrating. Without the cork, I immersed more than half of the probe in water and adjusted to 212. Then I put it through a cork and then mimicked the probe being shorter into the dome, only about and inch and a half in water, there was a significant difference in the reading. Pulled the cork out and perfect. Anyone else notice this?

So, you're saying that the size (i.e., length) does matter?  :-?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Aviator said:

So, you're saying that the size (i.e., length) does matter?  :-?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Thanks Griff, I have had my Egg for 7 years now and had never checked probably because I never had any cooking problems. I checked it last night and it read 200 in boiling water, I guess it was better to be 12 degrees to cool than too hot, easy adjustment.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Just checked mine. It's only a few weeks old. It was about 5 degrees low. Easy adjustment. Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll make sure I do this regularly.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet