Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searing Steaks

Options
SLMWinds
SLMWinds Posts: 17
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
How high do you want the grill to sear steaks? I was told to heat the grill up at hot as it would go but it quickly hit over 1000 degrees and melted my felt gasket. Most things I've read say 600-700 degrees is where you should sear steaks but those things also tend to imply that's the highest you can get the temperature. Should I hot the temperature there or is it better to sear the steaks closer to 1000? I guess I have learned the hard way by frying my gasket that I can't let the grill top 1100. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I think you answered your own question ... you can now replace your gasket with Nomex, Rutland, etc. and you will be OK with high heat.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    SLMWinds
    I bought a smaller grid that sits on top of my fire box ($14 at Lowes). I remove the fire ring and start my lump. Put the smaller grid in and sear steaks with lid open. That close to the lump could be over 1000. After I get the sear on the outside I want - tent the meat and let rest - put fire ring and regular grid back in - get EGG to 350 and return steak till desired inside temp is reached. 
    With this method, the EGG is not super hot and 350 is reached quickly.
    I don't have a gasket, so I have no worries there. 
    Kent Madison MS
  • SLMWinds
    Options
    So I have my answer from a gasket perspective, but from a chef's perspective, what is the ideal temperature to sear steaks? If I get gaskets that can tolerate higher temps or go without a gasket (which a few people suggested) what should be my target range for searing? Someone said the hotter the better--is that true or should I shoot for a lower number than my egg is capable of reaching?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    I seared 1-1/2" ribeyes at 650 for 2 minutes a side on a cast iron grate, then moved the steaks to the felt line on the adjustable rig. Great grill marks and steaks were med rare after another 4 to 5 minutes.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Chezbob
    Chezbob Posts: 7
    Options
    Be careful if you remove the fire ring and put a cooking grid on top of the fire box.  I personally know of two people that have broken their base when their cast iron fire grate expanded.  That is modifying the grill and BGE will not cover this damage under warranty.