Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grid Replacement - Stainless, Cast, or GrillGrates?

I've been learning a ton from this forum, thanks for the all the help.  I got my Egg used and the cooking grate is somewhat rusted.  I am temporarily using a Weber 17.5" grate, but looking to replace that (and be ready for the extender).  I thought I could either buy the BGE stainless or cast or alternately just buy Grillgrates and put them on the current grate.  Looking at the old grate it is definitely not stainless so it may have been porcelain coated at one point so I don't think I can restore it so using it to just hold the grillgrate might be worthwhile?

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I have Grill grates. I find they are a tool for a specific job. I love doing burgers on the grill grate, but that's really about it.  It really seemed to make doing burgers, boneless chicken breasts and simple porch chops easier. But as soon as you get past those very basic cooks, It's nearly useless. Definitely not a replacement for every cook.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • billsme
    billsme Posts: 42
    Thanks for the feedback, sounds like getting new grates would be good and maybe adding grill grates later would be good.  Would you go stainless or cast?
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    I would lean towards stainless, if you do get the grill grates they serve the same purpose as cast. I have a set of grill grates as well, they give you the same sear marks and also work well to reduce flare ups for greasy stuff or marinades.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    I'm in the same boat.. My porcelain grate is starting to rust.  For the most part, I've been using my cast iron grate for everything.  But now that I've got the extender from the group buy, I'd like to have a dual stainless setup if possible.  It just seems hard to find round stainless grates outside of the BGE grates or a Weber replacement grate.  Stainless sure isn't cheap either.
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • Thatgrimguy
    I would lean towards stainless as it's easier to maintain.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    I like stainless BGE are $$$$ but are the most rigid ones I've seen
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2013
    Guys, if you are looking for stainless grids, I just reviewed a grid from Michael's Custom Grill Works.  He hand makes anything you want.  Any size, any shape.  His website doesn't have much on it, so if you are interested, email him.  I just bought a 3/8" rod grid for my LBGE, a 1/4" rod grid for my medium, and some fire grates for small and medium Eggs. 

Again, truth in lending disclosure, he gave me a grid for the review and he advertises on my website.  (Well, he will be advertising as soon as I get the ad uploaded....)  I'm recommending him because I like his work, and I keep seeing the comments about people having trouble finding SS grids.
    The Naked Whiz
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    stainless from the ceramic grill store with a woo or adjustable rig and spider
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    @The Naked Whiz are they as sturdy as the BGE ?
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Bigphil,  more so.  The BGE grids are made from smaller than 1/4" rod.  And of course, the 3/8" rod grid is a beast.  If you read the review, I beat the **** out of the medium grid, trying to break a weld, and I finally managed to break one, but I had to drop it about 10 feet onto a brick walkway oriented so as to maximize the torgue on one of the welds.  Even with the broken weld, that rod is still solid as a rock.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Thatgrimguy
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/michaelscgw/michaelsgrills.htm

Looks pretty awesome to me! Thanks for the heads up!
  • Forget all that & just step up to the Mangrates!
    Flint, Michigan
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Couldn't pass that up, could you?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Actually, no.  I couldn't.
    Flint, Michigan
  • swamprb
    swamprb Posts: 97
    I'm a huge fan of Grill Grates! Turn them over and they are a flat top grill as well. 
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    I use grill grates on my gasser and love them. No flare ups. I tried them on my egg and prefer the stock SS grid. Guess I just want the charcoal goodness to get through to the food.
    Cedar Park, TX