Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket "Calzone"

Options
I had some leftover brisket from last weekend and I've been dying to try a new dough recipe I found, so I decided to put the two together and make a "calzone".  I'm not sure this qualifies as a calzone, but it was darn good!

I found a dough recipe that supposedly replicates Mellow Mushroom's dough.  If you're not familiar, Mellow Mushroom is a chain pizzeria mainly in the South East.  We've got one in Athens and the food is good.  I HIGHLY doubt I'll be going back, though, because this recipe I found tastes exactly like their dough!  It is delicious!  The recipe can be found here.

My wife had a standard cheese, garlic, and oregano calzone and she loved it as well.  My brisket calzone had brisket, ricotta and mozzerlla cheeses, caramelized onions, and banana peppers.  I painted both with some EVOO and dusted with Parmesan cheese on the top about half way through the cook.  The outside had a nice crunch and the inside was nice and doughy.  I can't say it enough: both of these were delicious!  Calzones will definitely be on my short list.

This is the cheese calzone.  Didn't get an action shot of the brisket calzone, though.

As high in the dome as I can get it without having a smaller grate.  I've got another set of fire bricks that I could use, but I don't have a smaller grate...yet...

Please forgive the wine colored counter tops.  That's also on the short list to change.  They are U-G-L-Y.

LBGE with a massive wish list
Athens, Ga.

Comments