Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I clean my pizza stone?

Every time I cook on the stone, the pizza sticks. It now has a char on it. I've washed it and scraped it off, but it happens again and again. All suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    If you start all of your pizzas on parchment, let them cook a few minutes and pull the parchment you will never stick another crust to your stone again... Mine has some char from the first few 'lessons' and it hasn't affected my cooks since I got it more dialed in.
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Interesting. How are putting the pizza on the hot stone? Floured peel? Parchment paper?
    Mamaroneck
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    I used a clean piece of sandpaper on mine when it was cool, then wiped it with a damp towel.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Doesn't need to be cleaned.  Scrape it off and use parchment paper under your dough. 
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I just leave in the egg for a clean burn and on occasion I use a straight razor to scrape off any clumps of burnt cheese and whatnot

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mine came with instructions to make a paste with baking soda and a little water. Scrub it with the solution and air dry.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • rwgarner
    rwgarner Posts: 3
    Thanks for the comments. I'll try the paper next time. I also think I will raise the stone up higher. Currently I have a plate setter with legs up and the stone sitting on the grate. I also think i will bring the temp down. To get to 600, I had flames wrapping around the stone.
  • Filbert
    Filbert Posts: 21
    I make sure I have a lot of corn meal under the crust on the peel- it slides off the peel onto the stone with no problems.  Comes up nice and clean too.  All I ever have to do is brush the stone off and its good as new.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    You should prolly try spinning your pie at least once during your cook for even cooking

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Pizzas never stick for me anymore, unless there's a hole in the dough that I missed and the toppings seep through; in that case I just use a small piece of 220 sandpaper, as Gogogordy mentioned.
    My very first pizza was a disaster.  I built it on a metal peel, didn't flour the bottom enough (if at all), and was more worried about "snapping" the pie perfectly onto the center of the stone (this was in my oven, 500 degrees).
    The "snap" actually went well; the sauce, pepperoni, veggies and tons of cheese deposited perfectly centered on the stone.  The dough, however, was still stuck on the metal peel.  
    I realized what I was up against pretty quickly.  I turned off the oven, opened the windows, grabbed the car keys, and went to Denny's.  Next morning I cleaned off my stone with a belt sander, twue story!  It was perfectly seasoned from that point on.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Botch said:
    Pizzas never stick for me anymore, unless there's a hole in the dough that I missed and the toppings seep through; in that case I just use a small piece of 220 sandpaper, as Gogogordy mentioned.
    My very first pizza was a disaster.  I built it on a metal peel, didn't flour the bottom enough (if at all), and was more worried about "snapping" the pie perfectly onto the center of the stone (this was in my oven, 500 degrees).
    The "snap" actually went well; the sauce, pepperoni, veggies and tons of cheese deposited perfectly centered on the stone.  The dough, however, was still stuck on the metal peel.  
    I realized what I was up against pretty quickly.  I turned off the oven, opened the windows, grabbed the car keys, and went to Denny's.  Next morning I cleaned off my stone with a belt sander, twue story!  It was perfectly seasoned from that point on.  

:))
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    Like the others, I've solved the sticking. When I get some cheese stuck I use a little ball of aluminum foil.
  • rwgarner
    Mine came with instructions to make a paste with baking soda and a little water. Scrub it with the solution and air dry.
  • rwgarner
    Mine came with instructions to make a paste with baking soda and a little water. Scrub it with the solution and air dry.
    Like the Bama logo. Roll Tide!
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    rwgarner:  give it some time.  I've had my pizza stone for several years and I have no problem with anything sticking to it at all these days.  It has developed a nice black seasoning as good as any cast iron pan.  Water will bead right off of it like a freshly waxed car.  The trick is to cook lots of high fat things on it to begin with.  Bake some cookies on it.  I even use it to do salmon filets.  After each use, you'll notice some areas that get darker.  Just like cast iron, the more you use it the better it gets.  Also, never use any detergent on it.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2