Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Ultimate Playoffs food

UrbanEgg
UrbanEgg Posts: 36
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Personally, there's not many things better than cracking open a cold one and watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs "Let's go Bruins!" while complimenting it with BBQ grub. (Feel free to substitute your sport of preference) 

Our household snack of choice during our ritual are Donairs.  We used to discuss the pronunciation of these things every time we make 'em (Duh-nairs or Doh!-nairs) so we now just refer to them as "Papa Shawns" in honor of the originator or our recipe here on our forum. While preparing these ravenous snacks we often bust into dance which resembles an Irish jig while we chant "Papa Shawn! Papa Shawn! Papa Shawn!!"

All props go to Shawn and his recipe. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1138225/donairs-on-the-bbq/p1 

I like to use a combination of ground beef and lamb, though I nearly double the amount of seasoning called for in the recipe while adding smoked blacked pepper and smoked hot paprika.  I season it like I'm trying to disguise bad meat.  The intense aroma and heat is complimented oh so well with the sweat sauce which in itself is an art to make properly (hint: stir less)

I spread it out on a pizza pan and elevate it using bricks (or indirect).  Otherwise it will cook through too quickly from underneath while leaving the top a bit raw.  I'll take it off around 160 after 10 minutes or when the juices run clear.  

Just before you pull, sprinkle some water on a pita bread and heat it on a pan with a slather of butter. We prefer our bread to be a bit soggy.  

Cut the meat into strips while piping hot, add sauce and assemble with tomato and onion. Serve to guests and watch them just inhale these things. 

Side note: I like to let the meat rest in the fridge for a few hours. I always use a foodsaver container and vacuum suck the air out.  I don't know what dog tastes like but I suspect its similar to lamb that isn't fresh.   What you see in the pics is a leftover snack for two and was kept fresh using this method.

Comments