Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt

Cooper772
Cooper772 Posts: 13

Today im trying my first butt on the BGE, well actually ever. I put it on around 10:30 this moring about 30 min. ago.  I'm not sure it will be done in time for dinner (maybe a late dinner) but I had to get it used before it goes bad and will not have much time coming up anytime soon. Rubbed it down with Mustard then Bad Byrons Butt Rub. Thought I  had the pit temp stable but its starting to creep up, its at 255 now, I'm going to try to get that down closer to the 225 area. Smoking with a few cunks of apple wood. I'll try to keep updates, and ad pics later, no pics at this point, I didn't take any of the prep.

Wish me luck, lol

Comments

• I smoked my first 2 yesterday.  Figure 2 hours per pound.  I started my 9 pounder the night before and it finished 17 hours later.  To accelerate, foil once you get to 160 degree internal temperature, and bump up the egg temp to 275 or 300.  But unless you have a small butt, you may not have enough time.  Good luck.  
  • Cooper772
    I might have to try that, its a tad over 8lbs
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    At 225 you'll have a midnight meal. You could possibly bump the dome to 350, foil at 160 and finish it up at 350 by dinner. Turbo.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Given your time-frame,  +1 with @henapple.  He just turbo'd one within the past day or two...now a convert!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    I did 3 4lb butts yesterday.. 4 hrs. Great stuff. Wrap that bad boy up and eat at 6 or 7.
  • Cooper772

I think I'll try wrapping it at 160 and bump temp up to 350, its at around 240 now. Keep it there or lower it?

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    240*F is fine to the 160*F mark-but if pressed for time before you get to 160*F then take it up to around 280-300*F before foiling.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I just finished up 3. Total time was 12 hours. They went faster than usual. Most are 16 hours on the nose. I FTC'd them so they stay hot. 2 are for dinner. 1 will be pulled and frozen for another day.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    Bump it. It won't hurt. You've had a few hours to catch some smoke.
  • Cooper772

Sorry to have to ask, I have seen this a few times, FTC? Im still new, and learning. BTW thanks for all the suggestions!!

• henapple
    Foil... Heavy duty, wrap in a towel or two and cooler it. I've done it as long as 5 hrs
  • henapple
    It can also mean ... Fondle the cook.
  • Cooper772

Update. Reached IT of 160 at around 3:30. Wrapped it up in foil put it back on bumped up the temp its at 335 now IT of 168. 

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    That looks good so far, I did a turbo one last week (by accident ;;) and it turned out awesome. There's a thread below.  It should be fine.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Cooper772

Here is the final product. I put it in at 10:30 a.m. BGE around 290 until IT was 160. Foiled it and put it back on and bumped temp up to about to about 340  took it off at 5 p.m. when IT reached 190  FTC'd it for a hour. IT peaked at 195. I never did experance a stall during the cook.( not sure if that is common with foil and higher temps?) All in all i give it a strong 6 of 10, it was delish but has much room for improvment. I didnt have as nice of a bark as I was looking for, and I may  have been able to use more wood. the smoke flavor was there just a bit on the light side, I would have liked just a litlle bit more. One possible thought is that I put my wood in after I place the setter stone and maybe didnt get it close enough to the hotter coals in the middle to start the smoking early in the cook?? It pulled very nice and the bone pulled very easy and clean. Family liked it but I'm already looking forward to the next one and getting better. What are the thoughts on injecting, I'm really thinking about doing that next time. Thanks again for the comments. BTW sorry for the blurry pic.

Josh

• henapple
    I may  have been able to use more wood. the smoke flavor was there just a bit on the light side, I would have liked just a litlle bit more

You'll taste more smoke today. Standing in the smoke all day you kinda become dull to it. It's kinda like a fart... It's stronger to everyone else around you.
  • Lmartin
    Lmartin Posts: 11
    I put a butt on around 7 am. 4 1/2 lber. It reach internal temp of 190 alot quicker than I have ever had them cook before. about 2 hours faster. I got it wrapped in foil and then in towel. Put in cooler to stay warm.

• texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    I never spend wood and time on a 4 pounder, that's way too small for me to waste my time on.  I look for the 10 pound butt, maybe 2 or 3 of those 10 pounders, but I have an XL so fitting them is no issue.  I usually do an overnight cook sometime around 10 PM the night before, its great with breakfast, and even better for lunch!  Load your favorite wood, I typically use mesquite of cherry,  being my main pork smoking wood.  Cherry just seems to have an awesome flavor.  I smoke at 250 until internal meat temp gets to 190 or 200 degrees usually takes 12 to 14 hours.  It's always juicy and fall off the bone.  I can just pull out the blade bone at that point with no issues. I go heavy on the rub and no wrap, no water pan, inverted plate setter. I always give one butt to a friend (a very good friend), take one butt into work with corn tortillas to share, and freeze half of whats left, and eat the rest. Lately I have found 10 pound butts for 99 cents a pound and I will freeze them for use later.  Good luck, read more and learn here!
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    What if u leave on grill not foiled until internal reaches 190 ftc? cooking at 230 all the time?

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN