Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fajitas

Options
was looking in the freezer this morning for something to cook tonight and I saw a sirloin steak, thinly sliced. I was thinking of doing fajitas with it as I want to give the Dizzy Pig fajita seasoning a try... any suggestions or tricks for fajitas? thanks 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I usually use flank steak but don't see any reason why sirloin won't work.

If you don't have them (and if not, I'm not saying you should get them before tonight) get a couple of the cast iron serving "skillets" that they use in restaurants. Great way to serve them and keep all the ingredients warm while everyone is eating.

Other than that, my only suggestion is to enjoy them and don't worry about getting a little "messy".
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    thanks. yeah I figured sirloin may not be as good as flank steak but I figured I'd give it a shot. 

I do have 1 cast iron fajita skillet I can use to serve, but probably isn't big enough for all the ingredients.

I was thinking of doing a quick sear then wrapping the meat in foil while the onions and peppers finish? thoughts?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the sirloin... it'll work just fine.

I usually squeeze some fresh lime juice over all the meat and veggies right after putting it all on the server platters.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Sirloin will work. Slice across the grain as you would flank, skirt or flap. I usually grill the meat til its barely rare, put the ci pan on and do the peppers and onions, slice the meat and throw it in with the other stuff for a minute or so.