Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm I on track for brisket doneness?

Options
The brisket has been on the egg for 5 hours with a dome temp of about 260.  7 pound brisket is at 160 internal temp.  Does that sound about right and will be done in 3 more hours?  My first brisket and I don't know what to expect.

Comments

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I've only done a few briskets, but I'd say you're on track. The only potential problem would be the stall. If you're worried you could always foil it up now, and bump temp to ~350, power through the stall, then FTC until serving time. You will want to give it some rest time before serving, one way or the other.

Looks good, good luck.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    I'm doing a brisket too. Mine stalled at about 170 for close to an hour. Egg is been rather steady at 250 dome. Got thru the stall now at close to 185. Go by temp. If time is an issue, you could wrap it in foil to finish it off a little sooner.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I would bet you will need to foil to get there in the 3 hour window you have.  Dome of 260*F generally means around 1.75 hrs/# .  For the next one, plan to finish early then FTC (foil, towel and cooler) til time to slice (against the grain) and serve.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    If you're planning to serve in 3 hrs I'd say you're a little behind. Predicting the time of the stall is an inexact science. If it were my brisket I would bump up the dome temp to about 300 & check IT in about an hour. You can foil then if necessary or desired. Foiling would accelerate the finish.

I'd also suggest you get take temps sideways or diagonally into the thickest part of the flat. The angle of your thermo in the pic looks like you might be getting a temp off the point (depending on how far you have it inserted). IMO, the temp of the flat is more important than the point.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • mrbkd
    mrbkd Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm just wanting to take it off in 3 hours for the FTC.  Sounds like I'm in good shape.  Thanks for the responses.  The EGG has been quite the journey.  Best BBQ ever.