Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What internal temp should I go to for a tuna steak?

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess it may depend on whether or not I can get sushi grade tuna, right?[p]Any advice appreciated.[p]TRex[p]P.S. - My wife and I LOVE sushi, so rare in the center would be great . . .

Comments

• TRex,
    I usually do them at 450 for 3-5 min per side.

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    TRex,[p]This won't be much help..but if the fish is 1-1/2 in. thick..I go with a rockin hot fire 600+ and get the fish close. Your Mini would be the ticket...[p]Seems like I did 2 minutes a side last time.[p]I don't have a temp though...they were warm![p]How's that for vague?[p]Evans[p]Ps...you need to be @ the Mini Meister Fest...
    Fri/Sat Sept 16 & 17!!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    Options
    Just did a couple last night. I really don't think you have enough time to worry about internal temp. If you want rare then you are probably good for 3 minutes per side or so. Firm enough to flip. Mine last night were a little thin (less than 1 in) so I got them a little too done. A little dry, but still good.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Thanks guys. I ended up aborting the tuna idea and just bought some sushi - I also bought some chicken breasts for an experimental cook I'll do tomorrow night.[p]Chubbmaster, I'm doing my best to be at MiniTexFest![p]TRex