Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chuck Roast ?'s

Going to do a Chuck Roast on Saturday
Would like to end up with pulled beef
Cook/Dome temp????
to an internal temp of ???
Thanks in advance for your help[

--------------------------------------------------------
South Dakota
KBØQBT
Large BGE, 
Mini BGE
36" Blackstone Griddle
Phoenix Gasser
Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

Comments

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    I'd cook it like a pork butt, dome about 275, cook to somewhere between 195 and 205 till a bamboo skewer slides in like butter.  I've had great success doing it that way in the past.
    Pentwater, MI
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    ShadowNick should I also rest it like a Butt? and if so how long?

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669

I pull mine @ 215. 

Check out this recipe by ClayQ for some tips:  http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesPulledBeef.html

Edina, MN

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    250 grate level, wrap in foil at 165 (you want those juices that render out), done at 205-210. My last two were about 4lbs each and reached 165 at 6 hours and 210 at 8.5 hours. Allow to rest for minimum of 30 minutes before shredding.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    The last chuck I did was a four pounder.  I smoked it 250 indirect till it hit 165 then placed it in a foil pan with some braising liquid (beef broth, etc.) and covered.  Bumped the cooker up to 325 and let go another 3-3 1/2 hours.  That chuck didn't want to pull right until it hit 215.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Should try the wolfe peppered stout beef with it, it's great.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    +1 pepper stout
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    edited May 2013
    I just follow the same process as pulled pork.  However I do place it in an aluminum pan at about 165-170 to save the juices.  I take it off the smoker when it probes tender, 200+.

I've been on a pulled chuck panini run lately. 

Also love to make chuck burnt ends too.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2013
    I just follow the same process as pulled pork.  However I do place it in an aluminum pan at about 165-170 to save the juices.  I take it off the smoker when it probes tender, 200+.

I've been on a pulled chuck panini run lately. 

Also love to make chuck burnt ends too.
    Tell me about the chuck burnt end procedure?  Those look fabulous.  Not real good at polishing the turd/brisket, so I prefer the chucks.  Smoke one packer every fall and cube it for chili.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmoothSmoke
    If I'm doing burnt ends, I'll pull at 190-195F internal.  Cube, rub and or sauce then return to the smoker for 1.5-2 hours more.  It's super simple and tastes so good man!  I hope you give it a try. 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2013

These are easy and fantastic. Cook like you would a pork butt, don't open the lid until 200+, take off when it reached 205-215 and shred with PVC gloves. (foil for resting if necessary to hit meal time). Doesn't get much tastier.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @smoothsmoke

this is added to the top of the todo list!!! looks so so good. 

XLBGE 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2013
    Griffin Posts: 3,646 1:53PM 250 grate level, wrap in foil at 165 (you want those juices that render out), done at 205-210. My last two were about 4lbs each and reached 165 at 6 hours and 210 at 8.5 hours. Allow to rest for minimum of 30 minutes before shredding. Mine completely sucked till I did just like @Griffin described image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    If I'm doing burnt ends, I'll pull at 190-195F internal.  Cube, rub and or sauce then return to the smoker for 1.5-2 hours more.  It's super simple and tastes so good man!  I hope you give it a try. 

Got a chuck in the freezer delegated for the sacrificial burnt ends offering.  Can't wait to try this, thanks!  Other than pizza, burnt ends are my favorite thing to devour.

One last thing, is pit temp still low n slow ranges?  Or do you increase temp some after cubing? 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    (iMO) you do not have to "hold" pulled pork and I only do when it is ready to early. But I am with @Griffin on the beef at 30+ min.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmoothSmoke

Focker said:

Got a chuck in the freezer delegated for the sacrificial burnt ends offering.  Can't wait to try this, thanks!  Other than pizza, burnt ends are my favorite thing to devour.

One last thing, is pit temp still low n slow ranges?  Or do you increase temp some after cubing? 

I cook normally at 275 and keep the same temp after cubing.  Good luck! 
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    This was my last Peppered Ale Beef because I didn't have a bottle of stout. :D

The Players

Covered with Dizzy Pig Cowlick and cooked indirect at 250 until it reached 165 internal with some pecan chunks.

Placed in a pan with the peppers, onions, garlic and liquid.  Covered and cooked at 325 until it reached 215.

At 215 pulled and placed back on cooker uncovered until liquid reduced a bit.

Served on Italian hoagies with some melted provolone.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    1. As posted by HAP and above by BOWHUNR thats the way i did it.  I was suprised on how slow it cooked and i had to go to 215 to reach a nice easy pulling temperature.  But it is well worth the extra time!!
    2. PS: I used a beef broth.