Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tandoori Chicken

Options
2»

Comments

• Dave_Matthews
    Options
    Aviator said:

Dave, I think there are two kinds of pataks tandoori paste/marinade. And the jars look pretty similar.

One is a "concentrate" and the other ready to use. I once used the concentrate and unknowingly emptied the whole jar onto the chicken, it was not edible and we had to dump the entire meal.

Just FYI.

Thanks!   The jar I used is the 'marinade' version, rather than a concentrate.  I followed the directions as far as possible regarding the marinade to yogurt ratio.  I very much appreciate the head's up for the next time I go to the Indian market!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Pataks is all I buy if I'm not making scratch. Their vindaloo is pretty darn good too

Agree, I just add some chillies to it. Now you went and done it. I gotta make some.
    :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I just hit it with some Indian chili powder. That is the bomb

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Dave_Matthews
    Options
    Yesterday I did the Patak's cook at my BIL's house in Alabama.  Six of us for the meal, my wife made raita, naan, and a pea/potato dish.  Very good Indian flavor and texture to the chicken, with a more distinct tart flavor I associate with Indian lime pickle.  At this time I think the three versions I have tried are all very good, but my favorite may be the Arora Creations mix.  I will try that again soon.

Other than the BIL, we fed visiting in-laws that had never tasted Indian food before, I thought this was a good way to introduce them to it.  They said they really liked it, but I have not won them over to getting a BGE (yet)!

I cooked the evening meal, but the BIL cooked pizza on the BGE for lunch.  It was fantastic!  My take away from this weekend is to get a pizza stone ASAP!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They never had Indian food before!?  Is that even possible!?
    Well, they grew up in rural MS, and a very small town near the delta.  Not much in the grocery stores while growing up except Chef Boy-ar-dee or however that was spelled.  Not many eating choices to say the least.  On the other hand, they are very familiar with BBQ, Cajun, and other delights.  

Hijacking my own thread:
    Here are some pictures of the pizzas.  This was the first attempt the BIL made cooking pizza, let alone on the BGE...They were fantastic!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    All of that looks great. But where is the tandoori chicken pizza? :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dave_Matthews
    Options
    caliking!  Thanks for keeping this thread intact and on topic!  I will work on what you suggested!

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Just yanking your chain a bit :) Thank you for being diligent about consumer testing tandoori chicken!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dave_Matthews
    Dave_Matthews Posts: 204
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Last night was my last tandoori chicken cook for a while, off to other styles next.  I wanted to post and report that my favorite mix is the Arora Creations dry powder mix, add 1/2 cup each of yogurt, vinegar, and olive oil.  That is what I used of this cook.  Excellent flavor and moisture.  My second favorite is the Patak's paste, not as fresh tasting but it does have the 'lime pickle' type flavor to a small extent that I like.

Skinless chicken marinaded for 20 hours, indirect heat at 500 for about 30min.  Raised direct heat to get some marks and bring final temperature up a bit.

Dave
    no, not -that- one!
    KI4PSR