Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Searching for Grandma's cornbread recipe!

Mully
Mully Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all!
My Grandma from Greenup Kentucky used to make "Beans n cornbread"
for dinner when she would visit us up North here in Ohio.
The beans were pinto beans I beleive soaked overnight then simmered with a ham hock or a chunck of salt cured fatback....just guessing here.Anyway this simple cheap mixture of goodness was spooned atop the most wonderful "Nonsweet" cornbread I have ever eaten.
The meal was finished with a side of fried potato's and garnished with chopped raw onion. Mmmmmmmmmmm I can tayste it now!
In effort to try a recreation of this old recipe I search for a cornbread recipe in which I think buttermilk was involved?
Any thoughts would be great!
Mully[p]

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Mully,
    a quick search on google had this,
    Buttermilk Cornbread
    From Diana Rattray,
    Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

INGREDIENTS:[p]1 cup cornmeal
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 egg, beaten
    1 cup buttermilk
    PREPARATION:[p]Combine dry ingredients; add beaten egg and buttermilk, mixing well. Pour into greased, heated 8-inch or 9-inch iron skillet. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • My Grandma taught me how to cook cornbread and this recipe looks very close to the way I do it now. I do three or four things differently. I use self rising so I don't add baking soda, power or the salt. I beat the egg and whisk into the buttermilk so that when I am ready to incorporate that into the cornmeal I can just sorta fold it in and not stir it up too much (which makes it lighter). I also add about 2 tbs of grits to the mixture of cornmeal and flour. And then finally I heat the cast iron pan up as the oven is preheating and then just before pouring the mixture in the pan I swirl around about 2 tablespoons of veggie oil or evoo. Another tip is to use a larger cast iron pan so the bread will be thinner.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    i like it, even easier. dont know if i can get grits up here in the northeast, but ill look. with all the hot peppers ive got growing, its time to make a chili with some cornbread
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Colonnade Corn Muffins:
    Makes 12 muffins

Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 15-20 minutes

1 1/2 cups white cornmeal
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    4 teaspoons granulated sugar
    2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup cold water
    1/2 cup vegetable, soy or canola oil
    1/2 cup buttermilk
    2 eggs
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease or line 12 muffin cups and set aside.
    In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add
    the water, oil, buttermilk and eggs. Beat vigorously for 45 seconds, or
    until all ingredients are thoroughly combined. Pour into greased muffin cups
    and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden.

Per serving: 174 calories (percent of calories from fat, 53), 3 grams protein, 18 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram fiber, 10 grams fat, 32 milligrams
    cholesterol, 300 milligrams sodium.
  • Mully,[p]my cornbread recipe:[p]2 cups Martha White cornmeal
    2 eggs, beaten
    around 1 3/4 cups buttermilk (adjust this as needed to get the consistency that you want)[p]preheat oven to 450[p]I put a little oil(a quarter cup or so) in a hot iron skillet (actually I use 2 skillets, one 8" and one 7", although one 9" skillet would work), and then heat the skillet(s) for 5 minutes or so in the hot oven...put the cornmeal mixture in the sizzling hot skillet(s) and cook them in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes...this makes mighty good cornbread imho...the skillets that I use have never been used for anything but cornbread, and I've never had a problem with the cornbread sticking to them...naturally, don't wash the skillet(s) in soapy water...good luck!

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    fishlessman, here's one I found:[p]Indian Bean Bread[p]Cornbread Alley 2002[p][p]4 C Martha White Cornmeal
    2 C Hot Water
    2 C Cooked Beans (pintos, great northern, etc)
    ½ tsp baking soda[p]Put cornmeal in a bowl and mix in the drained beans. Make a hole in the middle and add soda and water then mix. Form into balls and drop into a pot of boiling water. Cook about 45 minutes or until done.[p]