Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to optimize my small egg.

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
Last week I ordered some Permatex silicone to seal up the gap around the lower vent on my small. The aim was to see if it would cool down faster, and burn through less charcoal while cooling down. I promised to report back after some discussion in this thread.  

I applied the silicone around the lower vent and let it cure for a few hours. I should have let it cure overnight, but I had dinner to cook. I figured I would also try out another mod - the foil rope/inside gasket mod as proposed by Grandpa's Grub a few years ago.

It did light up and come to temp much faster than it had before.  Hit 325-350°F in about 20mins. Cooked up some pork ribeyes and asparagus. Once dinner was done, I closed off the lower vent and put some foil on the top vent, before placing the ceramic damper on. The cool down did not take as long as before, but still took longer than my large egg does to cool down from a similar temp. When I checked the next morning, I had much more lump left over than I would have previously. So i think the silicone around the vent made a difference.

I will probably replace the gasket on the small with Nomex at some point, and will order some extra to apply around the top vent. That should make the ceramic cap fit more snugly to extinguish the coals quicker.

These are just my musings, so I would welcome any thoughts or suggestions from others.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    While I agree the lower vent on the Small isn't built very well, I'm surprised your Small doesn't snuff out immediately if you're using foil under the ceramic damper (I just use the cast iron thingie).   :-?

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    Yeah, that's what i would have thought. I don't see any smoke leaking out between the lid and dome when I cook, and I have looked for cracks that could let air in, but I have not seen any. So I'm kinda stumped. 

I might try a couple of layers of heavy duty foil between the lid and dome next time to try and seal it up and see what happens. 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    My biggest complaint about my small is cleaning the ash out. Very difficult and not a very good design. It is almost easier to empty the entire thing out every few cooks.
    I haven't noticed lump consumption different than my large but will pay more attention. I don't have a gasket on either of them.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    I'm with @Hi54putty and prefer to clean it out from the top. I take off the door and screen when I switch out for my bbqguru door. But I did notice when I changed gaskets it cools down a little faster than with the old style one. But as it is my mobile egg, I usually leave it at my friends and pick it up the next day. I will be interested in your findings as I will be taking it tailgating when football season rolls around again.
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Yes, the small is a hot batch when it comes time to cool off. Calli, the permatex clear ATV does not need a long cure time. I have a Rutland on mine and a really good seal, although the bottom needs some more attention. I ought to call on MCN with his KY. :))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    @Solson005 - maybe changing the gasket is the ticket then. The old style one is a  POS. One pizza cook and it will be history, I think. 

@Aviator - Kentucky jelly should do the trick! I hear @MrCookingNurse is dealing the stuff like @henapple is dealing Ozark.

@Hi54putty whenever I try to clean the ash out of the small, I feel like Gaylord Focker trying to milk a cat.

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    I guess since I have a small on order, I am reading this thread wondering if those that have a small are happy with it (besides cleaning out ash)? Also, if they can achieve high temps. I am somewhat getting a little case of buyers remorse even before it arrives!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    @randy1
    Mine does everything I want it to. I have been nothing but pleased.

Like solson005 mentioned. I just clean mine from the top. It's way too easy. I use a shop vac to clean out my eggs every so often and it might take a min for me to lift the internals out and vacuum the small.

I might be in the market for a highQ but haven't lost a temp yet, just had one cook where I did 235 for four hours and then couldn't get it over 350 with everything wide open.

I'm about to get the small adaptor for my partyQ and try it out on some stuff.

If anything my small loves to sit around 450 I have found. And once it get hot, it's hard to get it down.

What was the original question?? I don't know how long it takes my eggs to cool down, but it's not more than 2-3 hours. I usually cook around 5 pm, we eat early and try go bed early :) I always check on the eggs before I go to sleep around 8-9 and they are cool. When I put my cap on and close the vent, smoke comes out around the bottom of my cap. The flimsyness of the way the caps fit on the small it's easy for me to imagine there could be problems. I checked my vent after you posted this and it appears to have a good line of silicon around it.

@aviator just send me your address and ill send you my PayPal, but be careful, I'm on my second kid in less than 3 years of marriage 8-}

XLBGE 
  • caliking

@Randy1 - don't get me wrong. I'm not unhappy with my small egg - just trying to make it better. I picked it over a mini egg for several reasons, and after owning it for some time, I can see that I picked it for the right reasons. That doesn't mean that I don't want a mini, as well. Just have to convince SWMBO that we NEED a mini! :))

The old gray gaskets were made out of old blankets or something, and have not held up during high temp cooks for many people. I was expecting to replace it in the not too distant future when I bought the small. I may get quicker cool down times with a new gasket as suggested by @Solson005.

• caliking
    [edit]... but be careful, I'm on my second kid in less than 3 years of marriage 8-}

pace yourself, brother! Just kidding. Congratulations again, to you and the Mrs.! :)

• Solson005
    @Randy1 I love my small and cleaning it out from the top isn't a issue just is quicker and easier with such a small draft door. I take it places almost weekly and would buy it over again in a heartbeat. 

I have the high-que and usually when I get it going then go back inside to prep the cook it is usually at 500° + and I back it down from there. My egg loves to be just under 400° and I can hold that temp without doing much but 550 - 600 with a big fire if I am doing pizzas. 

I use the Woo from Ceramic Grill Store and have yet to cook without it. There is a Swing Rack from Ceramic Grill Works coming out later this year that should be pretty cool for the small and medium eggs. 

Your going to love it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • I think someone should make small folding shelves for the small egg.

And ones for the mini...Wouldn't that just look adorable?
    Gittin' there...
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I think someone should make small folding shelves for the small egg.

And ones for the mini...Wouldn't that just look adorable?
    I'd like it if a small handler was available too.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Randy1
    Thanks for all the information MCN, Caliking and Solson. Just knowing that all of you are happy with the small is comforting!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    @Randy1 I have the small as well and i use it 90% of the time. I love it and if had the chance to go back I would not have thought twice and got it still.
  • Randy1
    Thanks canegger.I can't wait to get it now!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    Yep, bought a large first and watched for a used small or mini for almost a year.  Ended up with the small and use it a ton and couldn't be happier.  I changed out the gasket to the high heat and bought the high-que for it.  Both were worthwhile upgrades.  Only regret is I wish I had got the woo ring instead of the bge plate setter for it.
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • caliking
    I've been thinking about getting  a woo also, but was worried about the handles not accommodating a wok. I guess @Solson005 would be a good egger to ask (if I haven't already).

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    caliking said:

I've been thinking about getting  a woo also, but was worried about the handles not accommodating a wok. I guess @Solson005 would be a good egger to ask (if I haven't already).

You can custom order a small woo with no handles too I do believe
  • Solson005
    @U_tarded is correct and if I did it again I would go without handles on my woo. The only time I use them was when I add wood right before I throw the meat on & I just started doing that. I might even lower it a tad to make it work with the swing rack when it comes out. The handles hit my 12" wok and I wish I had a helper handle to help stabilize it. It popped under one of the handles one time and almost dumped the contents in the egg. But other than the handles, I love it for raised direct on everything and it works great for the 7 pound pork butt I did on Saturday.