Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feel like I've been initiated...

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been SO careful to avoid backdrafts, flashbacks, whatever you want to call them...[p]Then yesterday happened. I was so worried about holding up my son's birthday party that I didn't go through the normal precautions of opening up the top and bottom vents and "burping" the dome in conditions that I KNEW would be conducive to just such an occurrence. [p]The descriptions on here of singed eyebrows and goatees came to mind immediately. But I don't remember reading about the faint, odd sound of actually hearing the hair singe. It's a weird little "crinkly" sort of noise, isn't it?[p]Oh well, guess I've officially joined the club now. Or do I need to crack my fire grate first...?

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    Welcome to our world...[p]Spring "Singed Feathers" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    I have almost the same story. I burped it all the time but never had a reaction (I always had vents open) UNTIL that one time I was dwelling and forgot something and WHOOSH. Lucky no severe burns, but developed a lot of respect for the egg real quick.
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    from now on that will cause you to think about how dumb can i be?

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    And then there is that smell of burned hair...... and was the poof loud enough for anyone in the house to hear?[p]And, you know what, it still happens to all of us... we just minimize it as much as possible.... but sometimes we are in a hurry, not paying full attention, too many beers.... And[p]POOF!! It's all over, so fast.[p]The cracked fire ring is standard gear. Mine has been cracked for a couple of years with no issues.[p]Mike in MN

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    Yeah, the smell is pretty nasty. In fact, I had to wash off a bit because my wife was really put off by the stench of burnt hair.[p]Actually, I don't remember much noise from the flames. It had to be pretty quiet for me to even notice the sound of my hair burning.

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    There's always a "poof" that goes with it... the sound of rushing air as the fresh air is sucked in and ignited... to create that wonderful fireball that will make your bottom pucker.[p]And, like I said, it still happens to the rest of us... but we learn how to recognize the problem situations, before we let the thing get out of hand. [p]I used to have a wood furnace that did the same thing.... That was a big fire going in the basement of the house... when that baby let loose, it would REALLY make me pucker up![p]Mike in MN