Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi Que Grate

thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,352
After too many slow to fire up tries on my recently purchased LBGE, the HiQue arrived today and I'm ready for a fun, more effective and efficient weekend.

GET SOME
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    It works well. For sure
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have been egging for three years and have never had trouble starting my egg.  I can certainly notice how much faster it is after cleaning out my ash and clearing the fire grate.  No doubt the HighQ will even be faster for lighting and also faster response times.  Probably take some getting used to??
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414

I have been egging for three years and have never had trouble starting my egg.  I can certainly notice how much faster it is after cleaning out my ash and clearing the fire grate.  No doubt the HighQ will even be faster for lighting and also faster response times.  Probably take some getting used to??

It does take a bit to get use to. The first few lights for 400-500 degree cooks went nuclear in the same time as the old grate took to get to the intended temp.
  • Chubbs
    If you use your egg enough, you will have no choice but to replace. My charcoal grate looked like a taco shell and coal would fall through--- nice sized pieces too. High Que replaced it and my start up times are way faster. There is a slight learning curve. I messed up overnight cook because of it because I was too lazy to plug in the Maverick the night before.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    My egg is only three years old and my fire grate looks like a potato chip??  I know the HighQ is right around the corner !!
  • Has anyone tried the expanded metal charcoal grate instead of the Hi Q?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I've had trouble keeping the low and slow cooks down to the 225-250 range.  I'm thinking that the HiQ is passing too much air through.  On my next brisket, I'm going to put in the original grate to see if that is the case.

Other than that, the HiQ is great !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• VI, I would think the grate would be better for low and slow's. I am going to be ordering one soon. I am having problems of not being able to get it below 250 without it wanting to die out on me. 
  • Chubbs
    I think @VI is saying because of the improved airflow, he sometimes has a hard time getting the egg to stabalize below 250. It definitely wont go out, the vent settings are just closed more because of increased airflow. My bottom vent is merely a crack and same with daisy wheel petals to achieve 250 dome.
  • Chubbs that would make me think he has a bad seal somehwere if it wont go below not the grate though.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    It could be the seal (gasket), but I've replaced it and it appears to be still serviceable.  It could be the registration of the dome is off somewhat.  

I've just not done enough low and slow to make a big study of it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    @VI, mine does the exact same thing. I AM gasketless but get a good seal. With high que as I said above at 250 dome both vents are open a sliver only. This is usually around 225-235 grate for most of the cook anyway so I don't care. I don't cook lower than that ever anyway.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    To hit 250 my lower is just a sliver and my daisy is all but closed. It does take a bit of getting used to. I have had mine for about 6 cooks or so and still tweekin

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jimfastcar
    jimfastcar Posts: 88
    Ordered one and a pleased with improved airflow. Only negative comment is the amount of embers below is uh higher as smaller pieces of charcoal now fall through to the bottom When I clean out th bottom of the egg it used to be just ash, now there are a lot of small, cherry sized pieces of charcoal
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Ordered one and a pleased with improved airflow. Only negative comment is the amount of embers below is uh higher as smaller pieces of charcoal now fall through to the bottom When I clean out th bottom of the egg it used to be just ash, now there are a lot of small, cherry sized pieces of charcoal

You can buy two and cross hatch them.  Lot of people do that in the XL with the 18.5" Weber cooking grates.  Of course with the Weber grates you're talking $9 x 2, vs. $39 x 2.

I just made mine out of expanded stainless steel.  3/4" diamonds--only the dust, fines, and ash fall through.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    My only complaint on the Hi Que is that when I move my remaining lump around to reposition between fires, I always seem to pick up or hit the grate w my ash tool and end up having to dig everything out and start over.  So now, I just add news lump if needed and tread very softly on anything left from last cook.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    One more reason to Turbo and not have 225/250 cooks. No worries
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SmokinTiger81
    SmokinTiger81 Posts: 746
    @thetrim-I  had the same problem until I learned to alwasy install the Hique grate so the metal bars run front to back in your egg.  Then, when I stir the old lump, I keep the stirrer/BGEcleanout tool turned so the head of the tool is perpendicular to HIque grate and I only rake from front to back, not side to side--this keeps me from hooking or dislodging the grate when stirring old lump to get rid of ash/small pieces.   Still lovin' my hique grate.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    @SmokinTiger81: Great tip!
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

I have had a High Que in each, my large, and mini, for about a year, and can't imagine being without them.

As has been mentioned, I had some difficulties holding a low n slow, but I knew my gasket was in bad shape.  Six months ago, I installed a Rutland gasket from Ron Pratt, and no more low temp problems.  That is really the key.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon