Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me make a grocery list

I've been up and down on the scale and have been on so many fad diets that weight loss and life seems like a big yo yo at times. I vowed to get as much as 100 pounds off in 2013.

I am planning to center my fitness around grilling times and was wondering if anyone had a list of foods to avoid and what I should be going for when I go to the grocery store. I am trying to go as paleo as I can.

So far I've spatchcocked a chicken, porkchops, squash, sweet potatoes, tonight is lean roast night.

Comments

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Im personally trying to incorporate alot more fish and veggie dishes. Cutting out salt has been the tough thing and the big Exercise... I would love to loose 100lbs this year last time I was 220lbs was about 20yrs ago in high school.
    Lynnwood WA
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

I would avoid fruits due to the high sugar contant.  I would also avoid potatoes.  Not sure if sweet potatoes are okay or not, but definitely avoid russets and the little red and yukon golds.  As far as protien goes I eat alot of eggs.  I typically remove some of the yolks to reduce the fat.  I eat any lean meat.  Lots of salmon, tilipia and chicken.  I also eat alot of unsalted nuts.  Typically almonds.  Another thing to watch out for is BBQ sauce.  Depending on the type it can have tons of sugar.  Avocados are good.  They have the good fat and are a good addition to salads and things to make them more satisfying.  I like grilled veggies with Pineapple head rub by dizzy pig.  It is really good on squash and zuchini.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    sweet potaoes probably isnt the best for weight loss, better than reg potatoes to maintain a weight though.whats been working for me is following the atkins food pyramid, avoiding most dairy except some hard cheese, avoiding fruits, and as little breads and grains as possible
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.freewebs.com/jers52/atkins%20food%20pyrimid.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.freewebs.com/jers52/&h=330&w=369&sz=21&tbnid=zOp26KCXYZl6DM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=95&zoom=1&usg=__K7GjMTQHD6wvsVVFc9sSC0RK89c=&docid=wzHdtELEQjEfcM&sa=X&ei=JipTUZ6BNLTi4APaoIH4Aw&ved=0CD4Q9QEwBA&dur=6950
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fletcherfam
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    Join the weightloss thread we have going on here as well, may add some ideas/help.
  • The spices that I have been using have been Chef Paul Prudhomme's No Salt Magic Spice. That Pineapple Head rub does sound mighty good.

Am I wrong for wanting to cook my meals on the egg. Low and Slow cooks gives me enough time to workout.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    every person is different. a nutritionist will take blood and find the best path for you. one thing they told me...NO SOFT DRINKS.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    No one ever got fat from eating fruit. Never.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    i dont remember the whole reaso but i think it had something to do wit spiking blood sugars which maybe made you hungrey and did something to fat burning with the ketoses levels. maybe something to also do with no carbs and no sugars and your body has to eat fat and fat stores. all i know is 55 pounds down from the fall with little to no carbs and no fruit. i will add it back in though when i lose the last 15 pounds
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Travis is right. Fruit doesn't make you fat. Processed fruit products can. Pies, juice, etc.

Most fruit is low glycemic index(tropical fruits aren't) and low in sugar and higher in fiber and complex carbs than say, a candy bar. It can lead to adipose tissue creation(fat) but not in the way Travis meant "fat". Fruit fills you up, fruit juice just makes you hungrier.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Well, except for the real-life fruit ninja

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Eating fruit won't necessarily make you fat, but the sugars can prevent weight loss.  If you want to eat fruit i think berries are you best option.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

As with all things, moderation is the key. Weight gain is the consequence of too many calories going in and not enough calories being burned off.

I lost ~30lbs last year after making a concerted effort. What helped the most was watching my portion sizes and exercising regularly. Also no empty calories like soda, juice.

A very effective tool was myfitnesspal.com (they have a phone app too), as well as an Oxo digital kitchen scale. These helped me keep track of portion sizes as well as count the calories in meals. I need to lose another 10-15lbs, which I am working on. I have been able to make some major changes to how I eat, with some changes to what I eat, so I feel like I can enjoy the things that I have liked in the past without depriving myself.

In terms of a grocery list, look for the multigrain or whole grain option for an item if it exists. Will keep you more full and helps fight the hunger pangs. There are some great multigrain/whole grai nproducts in the market, and I prefer those items over the regular ones now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Try eating very little meat and nothing with more than one ingredient when you buy it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • STANGOJE
    STANGOJE Posts: 44
    Stay on track, don't eat out often, stay off of processed foods.  Read labels, "healthy" 100 cal bagged snacks are NOT healthy, snack on a piece of fruit, eat some uncooked veggies, grab a few nuts,  eat clean and you will feel great.  

I eat balanced, I exercise daily.  Every meal I eat 1/2 my plate veggies, 1/4 plate meat and 1/4 plate of healthy grains (brown rice, good quality whole grain bread, sweet potato).  It is about balanced diet, do not eliminate one specific type of food, I am 6' tall and weight 178 lbs and 41 years old.  
  • blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    I love grilling peppers (particularly the small colorful ones) and zucchini and eggplant and mushrooms.  I've found that every veggie tastes better on the egg!

Also, as said many times above - exercise is key.  Try walking or buy a jump rope (I never realized how good of shape I was in when I was a kid until I tried jumping rope as an adult!!!)
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    I agree with a lot of what has been said. I am using an app called myfitnesspal and have been losing about 2.5 lbs per week and that is just cutting back on diet, haven't started working out yet. Biggest thing for me is minimal ingredients on list (I make most of my food myself anyway) and portion control. Once you re learn a proper portion size it gets easier. Good luck, you can do it
  • I coach clients fitness and nutrition on a daily basis and have been doing so for 5+ years. I am a firefighter medic first and foremost and 8 of my guys recently  lost 30+LBS EACH in a months time. This is not a diet but teaches you how to make better choices and what to look for. It also teaches you why not to eat some things. Please give it a look. Its not free but i may be able to send you a copy of the guidelines and if you would like and your serious enough, i can coach you through it for free. I just like to help those who want to make themselves better. The change is simple. Fruits nuts meats and veggies. NO DAIRY, NO GRAINS and NO SUGARS. NOTHING PROCESSED.....

this will get you started but they have a downloadable full program for $30 or so.. it will change your life, i promise! PM me if you are interested and want help. you can text me any time day or night. 

Charles
    Beaufort, SC