Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt question

Options
I am cooking 2 9 lbs butts - put them on last night at 9 pm at 225 dome.  After 16 hours, internal temp was 175.  Took them off and double wrapped and put in oven at 300 for 2 hours.  Now temp is 185.  Why is it taking so long to get to 200 internal temp?  This has happened to me before.  Seems like my butts take much longer to get done than others experiences??

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited March 2013
    Options

225 dome is probably only 200 grid temp (where the meat is). Way too low temp in my opinion.  Bump up the temp next time you do it.  You'll like the results.
    I cook them at 250 grid temp (approx. 275 dome temp).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Physics-it's all about temperature and time.  And the initial off-set between dome thermo and the cooking grid on indirect cooks can be upwards of 30-50*F (with the dome hotter).   So search "turbo butts" or run around 275+/- on the dome and  you wil see the advertised 1.5-2.0 Hrs/#.  Always plan long and if finished early use the Foil, Towel, Cooler (FTC) to hold for many hours til ready to pull and serve.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    +1 for 250 Grate temp. Usually 275 or so dome. My last one was 8lbs and was done in 9.5 hours.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • waynedog
    waynedog Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.  They ended up turning out perfect - got to 200 internal temp in the oven double wrapped and then I put them in a cooler for 2 hours.  Total time was 9 pm to 6 pm the next night or 21 hours.  In the future, if I have less time, I will cook at 250 - 275 dome.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Remember, each butt can be very different in cooking time due to their internal fat content.  Some can sit unchanged for hours in the "stall" period.  As "louisubcap" suggested, plan on finishing early and keep the butts in the cooler to hold prior to serving time.  To me, this is a drawback when cooking "low and slow" -- the finish time is unrealiable. 
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Remember, each butt can be very different in cooking time due to their internal fat content.  Some can sit unchanged for hours in the "stall" period.  As "louisubcap" suggested, plan on finishing early and keep the butts in the cooler to hold prior to serving time.  To me, this is a drawback when cooking "low and slow" -- the finish time is unrealiable. 

Starting early and planing on FTCing your Butt or Brisket is on of the best tips I received from this site. :-bd
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......