Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Injection for pulled pork

Options
wingfoot
wingfoot Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need a good recipe for injecting pork butts. My son's birthday (one of three sons actually) is this coming weekend and he wants bbq pork sandwiches for dinner. The last butts came out great with just Dizzy Dust on the outside, but I wanna get a little fancier this time. Thanks in advance,[p]Mike

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    wingfoot,[p]Give this one a shot. Adjust amount as needed. Use 1/2 oz per pound.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Recipe courtesy of Chris Lilly, Alabama. [p]Shoulder Injection
    3/4 cup apple juice (or other desired juice)
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup salt
    2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce [p]Directions:
    "Inject shoulder with injection solution (1/2 oz. Per pound). Coat well with rub mixture. Gently pat shoulder so rub will adhere. Cook on pit or smoker for 1 hour per pound on 225 degrees. It’s that easy! "[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • wingfoot
    Options
    Thanks,[p]It looks simple enough. Have you tried that one?[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    wingfoot,[p]Yes, I like it. Here is one that Stogie posted. I've had good results with it too.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Stogie's Injecting Juice
    - 4 cups apple juice or apple cider
    - 1 cup cider vinegar
    - 1/2 cup Worchestshire Sauce
    - 1/2 cup corn syrup
    - 2 tablespoons favourite rub,[p]Heat thru and then strain (so rub doesn't clog injector)
    Cool and inject into meat at approximately 1 oz of juice per lb of meat. [p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • wingfoot, 50:50 apple juice and Dale's steak seasoning mixed.

• wingfoot
    Options
    George,[p]Thanks....... since I'm cooking at least two butts, I can use a couple of different recipes. I'll let you guys know how they turn out.[p]Mike
  • jaymer
    jaymer Posts: 49
    Options
    2005_Jul_21_CampCounselorDinner&Qif=IMG_9217.JPG&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=M#qdig
    <p />wingfoot,
    i tried 4 injections and documented it here:
    www.jaymer-que.com
    go to the "Pulled Pork" section and you're looking for "Pork 5 Ways"
    pictures too (but not of injecting) - but clean off your counter real good and remove anything you don't want to get raw pork juice on, cause injecting is not the cleanest thing in the world - its especially fun when you pull the trigger and a whole mess of goo shoots out the butt onto your shirt :)
    jaymer...

[ul][li]Pork 5 Ways[/ul]