Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

King crab legs...

KennyG
KennyG Posts: 949
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
And a sincere thank you to my local Sam's club for assigning some numbnutz employee the task of rearranging one of the freezers. He took a few cases of frozen king crab legs out and forgot to put them back in until they had already thawed hehehe. Anyway, Sam's was giving them away at $5 for a 2 lb. bag.[p]Since these have to be used today, has anyone ever tried to smoke or bake on the Egg as opposed to boiling or steaming??[p]Thanx[p]K~G

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    crab.jpg
    <p />KennyG,[p]Hey, nice to see you post again. I hope things are well with you and yours.[p]I do King crab on the BGE with good results.[p]Cut legs with scissors the entire length (not necessary but lets a little smoke in). Toss with olive oil and smoke with Alder at 225-250 degrees for 10-12 minutes. They are very good egged.[p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Chuck,[p]I appreciate the well wishes and the advice![p]Just one question - is your suggested cooking time relative to frozen or fresh/thawed crab legs? I just happen to have a little bit of alder wood available.[p]K~G

• Chuck
    KennyG,[p]I susally thaw them a little but they are still partially frozen. You are just trying to get the heated through.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Chuck,
    I'm going to try some next weekend. Any other advice instead of alder wood? What do you mean toss with olive oil, just kind of spray on?
    Thanks, mine won't cost $2.50 lb. so I don't want to mess them up.
    Lucky Kenny G., see when that clod hopper works again.[p]Mike

• Chuck
    Car Wash Mike,[p]Yes I usually just mist them with a little olive oil. I have also used maple wood and have done them with no wood with good results as well. The smoke seems to sweeten them a little, not quite sure how it does that through the shell, but it does.[p]Good luck with them.[p]Chuck[p]