Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork love

Just stared a project. Pork shoulder with bad Byron's rub, a little Devils cut to keep me up. Cooking with apple and hickory. Injected with apple juice and bad Byron's. Put it on at 8:30, temp at 250. Waiting for 197. I'll keep you updated.

Comments

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Just wondering how its going? Mine went on around 2030 last night and I have one butt at 185 and the other is at 175. Egg held @260 until I got up at 330 and checked and the temp had dropped to 200. Got to looking and he coals had burned down and back. Had to stir them up and get it going again. Got it stabilized or so I thought at 270 and we t back to bed until 0545. Checked then and it was up to 360. Brought it back down to 260 to 270 and I think I'm in the home stretch now. GOOD LUCK this was my first overnighter and what a ride.
  • cbr0011
    cbr0011 Posts: 93
    Mines doing okay, meat currently at 160, dome temp at 225. Waiting out the stall. I'll send finished pics.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Dome temp at 225? That is lowwwwww. Bump up the heat some unless you want a 30 hour cook. ;) Can your monitor temp of your grate? If you want to cook at 225 get your dome up to 250-275. You are likely cooking around 200 grate right now.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • cbr0011
    I'm bumping it up to dome 275. I don't have a grate temp, I need a good thermometer. Any recommendations?
  • egzilla
    egzilla Posts: 51
    Maverick 732 and a Thermapen !
  • My Maverick should be here next week. I have done a few turbos and a few where I started around 4:00 am and not finished until 9:00 pm, but I am anxious for an overnighter. I have just been afraid to let it go all night without some sort of tool to alert me if it gets too hot or too cold. Looking forward to pics.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • cbr0011
    All nighter done, took the butt off at 11. It taste good just a touch dry. Meat temp got to 198. May need some tips on how to keep it from drying out. Forgot to take a pic off it off the LBGE. Here a pic of it pulled
  • cbr0011
    Also the rub did not impart much flavor to the meat. It was a bit bland. Prior to smoking I injected it with part apple cider vinegar part apple juice and 3 tbl sp of the rub. What should I do to get more flavor?
  • jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    Maverick 732 is a must for low and slows. I got the Thermapen this past Xmas and it was a fantastic compliment. With the Maverick, you won't wake up unless it tells you somethings not right. Set the upper and lower temp limits and snore until the morning.
  • Did you let it rest for at least an hour foiled and wrapped in towels in a cooler? That really helps let the juices re-distribute.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • cbr0011
    It rested about 20minute, no foil or cooler. family was hungry.