Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Tenderloin Ideas?

I wanted to see if I could get some feedback from everyone on your best Pork Tenderloin recipes and set ups(direct? Indirect? Temp?). I know all you experts out there have some awesome recipes!!  I am doing 4 or 5 tomorrow for a gathering and wanted to "step outside the box" from the standard that I am used to.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Crunk

Comments

• nashbama
    nashbama Posts: 102
    I just keep it simple. Marinade it overnight in Stubb's Pork Marinade, then smoke it indirect one hour per pound. Not the most creative or experimental, but it's always been a hit with guests.
  • cdees_1993
    cdees_1993 Posts: 135

I did one with a rub of salt, pepper, cayane, crushed red chili pepper, and then cooked indirect with a small drip pan under grill on the plate setter.  I did it at around 375 and it turned out great.  Took to a internal temp of 160 I think and foiled it.  We loved it.  Also gotten the premarinated ones and done those as well and they are great.

Hope this helps!

• canegger
    canegger Posts: 540

I did one not too long ago. I butterfly cut it then stuffed it with cream cheese, feta cheese, spinach and onion. Then i wrapped it up and wrapped bacon all around it. It was good done indirect around 350 i think.

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Indirect, PS legs up at 375 until it hits 160 is what I do.  It's a little less labor-intensive than cooking direct, where you have to turn it about every 5 minutes.  Both methods yield great results, I just like the set it, and forget it route.

I've done several tenderloins with different rubs.  I've tried Dizzy Dust, and a homemade brown sugar-based rib rub and both were good.  My favorite, though, is Mickey's Coffee Rub.  I can't say enough about that stuff.  It's friggin' crack.  It's good on turkey, thick-cut porkchops as well as tenderloin. 

As long as you cook to 160, there is no wrong method.  Tenderloin is pretty forgiving 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    edited March 2013
    Pork tenderloin is good with just salt and pepper !!!  But the one thing to consider is "overcooking" it!  I would take a few suggestions here and do a couple of different ones -- with different marinades -- and identify them on the serving platters.  But they cook very fast and need to be monitors.  They can be cooked direct or indirect.  I go the indirect way because it is less likely to over cook !  And i cook them with grilled fresh pineapple that i slice up and serve with the pork.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i dont cook them much but they always go good with some type of sauce, a fruit sauce or a thai dipping sauce etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Charlie tuna
    Pork Tenderloins cooked direct.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

We brine ours for a couple of hours and always cook at least 2 at a time, so we can tie them together (big end to little) this makes a uniform size. I season with the espresso cocoa rub that I make. Cook at 350 indirect until 140 or so internal temp., pull and let rest. Then we make this plum sauce that goes really well with pork.

Ingredients

• 1 can 16 oz. purple plums, pitted and pureed
    • 2 Tbl. butter
    • 1 small onion diced
    • 1/3 cup brown sugar
    • ¼ cup chili sauce
    • 2 Tbl. soy sauce
    • 2 tsp. lemon juice
    • 1 tsp ground ginger

Directions

Saute onion in butter until clear, 4-5 minutes Mix pureed plums and all ingredients together, add to the onion and bring to a boil, simmer 25 to 30 minutes. It will thicken and become a beautiful red color

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Charlie tuna
    Thanks for the recipe Billyray !!
  • Billyray - Plum sauce recipe sounds excellent and easy.  Most would have everything but the plums in their house.  Especially most of us eggheads.

Just concerned a bit on the temp of your pork.  You should make sure it gets to at least 145F.  I am not sure if residual cooking gets it there before you eat it.

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    With todays lean pork, you are fine at 140, there is a few degrees more during the rest. The meat has a nice slight pink center and moist. It doesn't take much to over cook a tenderloin and have it dry, but if you do the sauce really helps out.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    @smokesniffer posted this Pork Tenderloin with Black Berry Sauce… pics about a month ago, I made it a couple days later and it was the best tenderloin I've made! I highly recommend it. I did it direct at 375° turning every 5 mins to get a good sear on every side. I also pulled it between 140-145° You can see how juicy it was on my cutting board. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94

Thanks Everyone! Definitely a lot of great ideas here! I knew I could count on you guys!

Crunk

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

If you splay out a few of them you can overlap and pound to an even thickness and stuff the daylights out of them.

Procuitto and Calabrese salami
    Provolone, green onions and sliced garlic
    Sundried tomatoes, bomba
    Pile of Genoa salami
    All wrapped up
    Egged
    Very good

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Tuna hit the nail on the head. Overcooking. You can sprinkle gold dust on it or soak it in Adriana Lima's bath water and then ruin it by overcooking it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • crunk
    crunk Posts: 94
    Little Steven......That may be one of the most delicious looking things I have ever seen!!!!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I truss two tenders together end to end and rub with Red Eye express. Cook direct over CI til temp is @140 and remove to rest 5-7 mins. Remove trussing twine and cut medallions @ 1-1/2" thick.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Stuffing it or making an herb paste for the exterior is the way we go.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • I like to make 1.5" thick medallions and hit with a very hot sear in a CI skillet (for maximum browning action), then move up and away from the heat, pull at 135F (will rise to 140-142, nice light pink), serve with a creamy horsey sauce.
  • Charlie tuna
    edited March 2013
    First time i have heard of that, and it looks good.  Man i have a refrigerator full of different meats to cook --  i better get off this forum !!! :((