Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Pork Shoulder (butt) HELP

Alton
Alton Posts: 509
Reading a lot but have two question: do you inject or brine your butt , if so with what? And smoke it fat cap down or up? I've seen it both ways. Thanks for the help in advance
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Don't inject but if I have a long time with the FTC then will toss some apple juice/worcestershire mix in the foil with the butt.  I'm in the fat side down camp as my thought is "if anything sticks to the grid let it be the fat" but I've cooked fat up and down and it makes no difference cook/taste-wise-so go one way one cook and then try the other and just pick one.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I prefer it fat side up. I do not inject, I dry rub. And I cook it indirect at 275-325 for about 90 minutes per pound.

Everybody will tell you something different.

Tim
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110

I have done mine both ways with fat cap. I could not really tell a difference. I have also brined and not brined. With a butt there really is no need to brine IMO. I also have used injection and not injected. I prefer injected. I use Cajun butter injection.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Done the inject before... Not bad. I usually go fat cap down figuring I want the bark up top.

Just throw it on and have fun. Tough to mess up a butt...
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Thanks everybody , so here the plan. Rubbed with JH Pecan Rub over yellow mustard. I than placed in in a large ziplock and poured 8oz of half and half apple cider vinegar , apple juice mixture. I'm going to keep in in the refrigerator for about 6hrs until I'm ready to start the smoke. Plan on reapplying the rub. I'm going to use pecan chunks with a beer pan. Low and slow over night. I will keep you posted
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • keep us posted bud.  Always looking on new ideas and ways to get "the butt" recipe.  I tried something new last night, worked great, not perfect yet. ITs all part of the fun tweaking and trying new things until you get the perfect set up for you.... After a few dozens ribs I think im almost there with ribs.  just me and the wife, lil girl isnt old enough to eat pork butt, so its only special occasions I get to do a butt or itll just go to waste

XLBGE