Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Demi-Glace Gold from Williams Sonoma

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
Last night I made steaks with a wild mushroom sauce that my wife proclaimed "The best steak and sauce ever!!".  Her's was a filet. Mine was a New York Strip, both with just salt and pepper.  The sauce was made up of 2 tblsp butter,  2 tblsp minced shallots, 4 oz each baby portabellas, shitake, and white mushrooms sliced, 1 cup pinot noir wine, 1.5 oz Demi-Glace Gold from W/S, and 1/4 cup heavy cream.  Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat, add shallots and saute until translucent, add mushrooms and cook until tender (5-10 minutes), remove mushrooms with a slotted spoon, add wine to sauce pan and boil until reduced by half, add the Demi-Glace Gold and whisk until dissolved, return mushrooms to the pan, add the heavy cream.  Then just simmer another 5 minutes.  This is an amazing sauce for any steak.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I love the Demi-Glace from W-S. I do a similar sauce when pan-searing chicken with sherry and thyme. I will need to try yours the next time I do steak. Thanks for posting.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I have used it and love it.... Will try your way.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Williams Sonoma does have some great sauces, they are pricy but many of them are well worth it.  I will definitely give the wild mushroom sauce a shot.  I highly recommend their Osso Buco Braising Base in my opinion it is their best.  

(I am in no way affiliated with Williams Sonoma although they do receive a lot of my money)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Their braising sauces are awesome too. I like the 30-minute sauces like the Red Colorado sauce for quick-braising chicken breast or pork chops.I need to try it on the egg.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    dockahn said:
    Williams Sonoma does have some great sauces, they are pricy but many of them are well worth it.  I will definitely give the wild mushroom sauce a shot.  I highly recommend their Osso Buco Braising Base in my opinion it is their best.  

(I am in no way affiliated with Williams Sonoma although they do receive a lot of my money)
    Do you have a favorite recipe that uses the Osso Buco Braising Base that you would like to share?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Anthony Bourdain has a recipe for beef stock and demi glaze in his "Les Halles" cookbook. The production is a two-day affair with SLOW reduction. Not a lot of work - just patience needed. The reward is a fabulous demi that you can freeze in ice trays then put in baggies for use at any time. Just throw one or two in any beef-related sauce. The book is a hilarious read anyway.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• I just followed the instructions on the bottle. First you have to get good looking thick veal shanks.  I usually call my butcher ahead to make sure they have thick ones in stock.  Sear/brown the veal shanks(I like to do this in bacon fat).  Place in a dutch oven with the sauce and cook low and slow (150-175 for 6-8 hrs).  The end result will be fork tender and delicious.  I do not add anything other than the meat and sauce.  Which i serve over egg noodles.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited January 2013
    Anthony Bourdain has a recipe for beef stock and demi glaze in his "Les Halles" cookbook. The production is a two-day affair with SLOW reduction. Not a lot of work - just patience needed. The reward is a fabulous demi that you can freeze in ice trays then put in baggies for use at any time. Just throw one or two in any beef-related sauce. The book is a hilarious read anyway.
    Demi glace is just a reduction of reduced jus de veau lié  and sauce Espagnole. I crack myself up =))

Steve 

Caledon, ON