Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thunder Thighs

toothpick
toothpick Posts: 154
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
(cut & pasted from my blog...sorry, I don't know why all the space before the text shows up!)

Thunder Thighs. I was pretty much sold when I saw the name of this recipe. I mean, weren't you? It was the first thing I'd tried from Smoke &; Spicewhich my folks had given me recently.

It involved making up a paste of the following, smearing it on the chicken thighs and letting it sit overnight in the fridge.

Thunder Paste:
1 small onion, chunked
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon peanut oil
2 teaspoons ground anise
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

There was an optional mop sauce, which I opted not to use.

I was excited to try a new thighs recipe, because I am such a big fan of Papa's BBQ Chicken Thighs.

So I set up my Big Green Egg for indirect cooking (using my plate setter) at 250f and let these guys go for about 2 hours

The results?

Well.

They were good. I mean fine. I guess.

Something about the paste that sounded so delicious on paper and even smelled really interesting coming out of the Cuisinart, just didn't really result in anything all that life-changing for me. Furthermore, I couldn't figure out how one should photograph a thigh. They're not the sort of food that has the same visual cache as other stuff I've made. So see if any of the photos below do it for you. I wasn't all that excited about the recipe or the photos.

Some stuff works. Some stuff doesn't I reckon. There's always next weekend, right? Thanks for reading.

imageimage
imageimage

Comments