Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

benzo map gas torch for finishing sous vide protein?

Options

anyone see a problem with finishing proteins with the same map gas torch i use to light the egg? Wanted to give it a try but didn't know if the map gas is 1. safe and 2. odor/tasteless.

If no, what torch do i need? 

Comments

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I would think that being that mapp gas is hotter than butane or propane you would be less likely to pick up any flavor from it than the alternatives since it's on the food for a shorter time. IMO
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • jimreed777
    Options
    I use the Bernzomatic Fat Boy MAPP torch to help sear.

You can see the meat sear as the torch moves across. I don't have to hold it any one place long. Sucker is HOT.

It will probably give me cancer, I know. But it is tasty and FAST. No taste that I can tell from the torch.
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options

i use food-saver vac system and bags. I called food-saver and they swear the plastic is safe to heat to the sous vide temperatures and claim that chefs around the country are using it. I bought the sidekic immersion circulator from amazon and sous vide in food-saver vac bags in an igloo playmate cooler.

Thanks for the advice on the torch. I've been searing on a cast iron pan or at nuke temps on the egg but always looking for an excuse to torch something.

• rustypotts
    Options
    Watch out for those counter tops!  What do you put the meat on that is fireproof?  Or do you simply have a steady hand? 
  • mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131
    Options

my counter tops are granite and my plates are ceramic and have been glazed and fired in a kiln. I don't think either really matter up until this point bc i was planning on holding the meat above the plate with a pair of tongs in one hand and torching with the other. I'm curious as to how other with experience do it. I would imagine a cookie grid above a drip pan/baking sheet works well for pieces of meat too large to be held by tongs.