Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

My first overnight cook

MarkzzzMarkzzz Posts: 35
Hi everyone, First time posting here after much lurking and a few months worth of acclimating to my medium egg. I did my first overnight cook last night and it definitely was not the smoothest! I guess you have to start somewhere though.....Anyway, I purchased an 8 pound bone-in pork shoulder and brined it in a bourbon brine recipe I found on the Internet for 24 hours. Prior to going in the Egg at 250 degrees with lump and hickory chunks, I rubbed it down with some mustard and Bad Byron's Butt Rub. Here is the problem that I ran into: I didn't put nearly enough lump into the Egg. This caused me to have to refill at 5:30 in the morning and again around noon the next day! (I filled the Egg each time to the top of the fire ring). Refueling twice extended my smoking time an extra 3-4 hours....I guess I'm gonna really have to pack the lump in as high as possible next time. It also doesn't help that I live in Michigan and it was 30 degrees overnight! The pork ended up tasting great even though I lost a few hours of sleep.


  • MarkzzzMarkzzz Posts: 35
    I used big green egg lump. The knife is a shun classic
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,771
    You can fill til the platesetter is about sitting on the lump load and should be able to run long enough to complete the cook, figuring 2 hrs/#, in one shot.  If you refilled at 5:30 AM and then again at noon something doesn't add up... But all's well that end's well.
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • MarkzzzMarkzzz Posts: 35
    Yeah I couldn't believe I was requiring so much lump. In order to maintain 250 at the grid, I was continually opening my vent more and more until it eventually was completely open. Shortly after my vent was completely open, my grid temp would fall and my coals were cashed. Anyone here live in cold areas and run into these problems on long smokes?
  • What was the total time you spent with meat on the grate? A full load of lump has always been more than enough for an 8# butt. You've got something else going on here. What is strange is that you had to keep adjusting your vent during your cook. Frankly, 30*F is not that cold; I've cooked in much colder and never had any of the problems you've encountered. Do you have a tight seal on your gasket? Are the bands securely tightened? Is everything aligned correctly? This is quite puzzling. Two + loads of lump ought to have cooked much, much more than an 8# butt!
  • MarkzzzMarkzzz Posts: 35
    I had the meat on the grate for roughly 15 hours. I would imagine 3 hours were somewhat wasted after reloading due to my grate temps falling and having to get back up to 250. I don't have any smoke leaking from my gasket and I haven't fried it either. I haven't re-tightened any bolts since I bought it and I have been meaning to. What do you guys do with your Daisy Wheel on long cooks? Roughly holes halfway closed and only adjustments for temp via bottom vent? That is typically what I have been doing. Thanks for your input. Hopefully I don't have this same problem again...
  • I had a similar issue but had blamed issue on re using some leftover coals from two previous cooks. Was able to get my dome back up, didn't have to build fire
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.