Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg was frozen shut!

I was out sledding with the little guy yesterday and it was so nice out that I decided to light up the egg. Unfortunately, it was frozen shut. But I remembered my wife had just made some tea so I used the rest of the tea kettle to warm up the gasket and free the egg! Baked some mac n cheese and grilled some lobster tails!
Chester County, PA

Comments

• Hi Hapster -
    I'm in Chester Springs, a couple miles north of the Downingtown exit of the Turnpike. I haven't been to Fred's in about 2 weeks, haha. It's awesome having such a great store so close. 

I forgot that the egg can freeze shut! I like to go without the hassle of a cover so I guess the freeze is the only downside. The tails were worth it though....on sale at Wegmans! 
    Chester County, PA
  • I've never been to Shady Maple. What is it like? Lancaster, right? Hill's Seafood on 100 is a place I need to hit more often...I always forget about it. Do you live near Bell Tavern?
    Chester County, PA
  • Mine was frozen shut over the weekend, as well. I stood there for a few minutes before I thought to light some lump in the chimney starter and use some tongs to drop them in from the top. Made some coffee and it was free. 

• MattyMc
    MattyMc Posts: 81
    Sunday night chicken thighs
    Chester County, PA
  • MattyMc
    New Year's Eve dry aged strip steaks, king crab legs, baked potatoes, grilled asparagus, and mushrooms.
    Chester County, PA
  • MattyMc
    New Year's Eve dry aged strip steaks, king crab legs, baked potatoes, grilled asparagus, and mushrooms.
    Chester County, PA
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Mine was frozen too the other day and I couldn't do what you did as I had a plastic dustpan inside that I use to collect ash.

So I found my old electric starting iron and it fit in the intake hole ... it took quite awhile, but finally got it open. The original gasket 15 months old didn't fair so well ... no prob, I have new gasket ready to go on ... in the spring!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    It can freeze even when covered. My eggs are usually not covered, I prevent freezing by placing a circular sheet of thin metal between the top and bottom... as seen below, the top gasket is iced up but the bottom is bone dry.

imageimageimage
    canuckland
  • I had the same experience on Christmas eve. I used a heat gun to open it. Since then I've placed a small pebble in between the gaskets and it works like a charm. It gets cold up here eh.