Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pepper Ale Beef

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited December 2012 in EggHead Forum
While at the grocery store the other day, a 3.3 lb 7 bone chuck roast caught my eye.

I'd seen posts using this Pepper Stout Beef recipe: http://wolfepit.blogspot.com/2009/10/pepper-stout-beef.html?m=1 and thought I'd give it a try.
I didn't have any Guinness and my wife was heading to the store so I asked her to see if she could find a single bottle of stout (I'm not a big stout drinker) and if not pick up some Newcastle Brown Ale (which I do like). She came home with a single Newcastle as the Guinness was "huge".

So instead of Pepper Stout Beef, I made Pepper Ale Beef (sounds weird).

Here's some pics of the process (other than the beer I didn't deviate much from the recipe - except I only used 1 jalapeno pepper as we're wimps with hot peppers).

Chucky was generously seasoned with S&P and smoked over oak on the Large Egg:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The green peppers, red onions, garlic, and jalapeno pepper soaking in a pan waiting for the beef:

Chucky jumped in and was covered with foil:

A little over a couple hours later the chucky was pulled and returned to the Egg uncovered:

After another hour or so, the liquids had reduced some and it was looking ready:

We had some extra Kings Hawaiian Sandwich Rolls so they got used (recipe calls for hard bread but these needed to be eaten - quickly I must say before they got too soaked):

I topped my second sammy with some cheese:

A day later we had leftovers on a ciabatta bread and it held up better.

Later we needed a change from sandwiches so I topped a pizza with the last of the leftovers:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
I definitely will be making the beef again (but I'll try it with stout & add a second jalapeño) and the pizza will be repeated some time as well.
Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Looks amazing! I'd love to hear how it tastes with the stout. Wondering if it has a real Guinnessy taste. I for one love Guinness, but SWMBO does not. Can't wait to try this one myself. It's been added to the ever growing bookmarked list.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    awesome - looks great!
    Fulton MO
  • Wow that is amazing! Pizza looks excellent too, good way to follow it up
  • Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    This just went into my recipe file. Thanks!
  • Bookmarked! I've been wanting to try a new cook.... And I think this is it. Thanks for sharing!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821

This looks excellent. Adding it to my list. Thanks R2

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • tyenic1
    tyenic1 Posts: 150
    Looks great. I gmgave this recipe as well and have been waiting to try it. You may have just inspired me to do so.
  • That really looks good, R2!  You certainly made it a versatile dish.  It's on my bucket list now.  Thanks. 

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    what temp did you cook the chuck to when it was on the egg by itself?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • R2Egg2Q
    It was cooked to an IT of 165 before it went into the pan.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Dropping this into my egg tomorrow..can't wait! Thanks for sharing.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Looks awesome. On my list.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    This will be made shortly. Bookmarked.
  • Made it yesterday..I had a little too much pepper, but man o man, day two and chili..amazing!
  • R2Egg2Q
    @Mosailn - I'm glad it worked out for you (even if it took an extra day) ;)

Bay Area, CA
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Made a batch last night. Used it to make tacis with a little pickked onion and some mexican crumbly cheese. It was pretty awesome.
  • Does it matter bone in or not? QFC has no bone in on sale buy one get one free this week.
  • R2Egg2Q

Does it matter bone in or not? QFC has no bone in on sale buy one get one free this week.

I've never heard that it matters with chuck. I bought my chuck bone-in as it was a great price.

Bay Area, CA
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Made this last week along with a second chuck for regular pulled beef sandwiches.  The chuck on the left has cajun rub for pulling. The one on the right is fresh ground pepper and a pinch of salt for use in the pepper ale beef. 

We ate the one on the left, while the pepper ale beef remained on the egg to boil down the liquid.

I used a fresh stout, Port City's Revival.  It is an oyster stout that smells like you're at the docks, but tastes great.

Port City Revival Stout is a limited edition beer that we made with oysters from War Shore Oyster Company. Crafted by Head Brewer Jonathan Reeves, this beer is brewed in the British and Irish tradition of oyster stouts.

We steep War Shore’s Chesapeake Bay oyster shells in the brewing water to add mineral content and then add the oysters and their liquor to the brew during the boil. The oysters add a subtle whiff of a sea breeze, a slight briny character and a smooth textural element to the beer.

I was worried that it would be to strong. The meat retained a slightly seafoodish odor although no one could not taste it.  The family liked it, including those that dislike stouts or are too young to drink.  I think next time, I'm going to try a coffee stout or a strong nut brown.  A coffee or nut aroma would be a nice touch.

Other Lessons Learned: 

* It took more than 2 hours to boil down the liquid at 350* indirect.  I'll try converting the egg to raised direct at 375* next time. 

* The onions and peppers really cook down.  I'm going to up the quantity a bit and cut them a little bigger.

* A growler is a great size to buy beer in for a Sunday of football. 
    Don't worry honey, I'm just having one beer today. 
    :D
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Looks great, Pizza is a great option for the leftovers
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Going down at my house Thursday!
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    Excellent recommendation! Can't wait to try this.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    wow...great work boss!  Love looking at your cooks bro!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jcl5150
    Jcl5150 Posts: 280
    I have a couple of beef chuck roasts that I’m dropping on the egg tomorrow.  I may try this recipe! It seems simple and looks delicious.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Worth the effort. Made a pizza with it tonight 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    nice looking cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    I have had the chuck roasts stall before getting to 165°.  We use the Egg for the initial cook, then go to the kitchen oven for the braise.  It's interesting to sense the different smells coming out of the oven as the cook develops.  While we never have a dry result, we never have any liquid to reduce after a 3 to 3.5 hour braise.  My problem is finding Jalapeños with any heat...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia