Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Amber jack

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We have fresh Amber Jack.
Any suggestions for the egg?
Mike

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Mike Dodd,
    Don't know about Amber Jack, but I've been known to down a few Cider Jack's while standing next to a hot Egg, very refreshing indeed.
    So, what is Amber Jack anyway?[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Unknown
    Options
    Mike, Amberjack is not high on my list as it is very oily and dark. Have cought many and tried several times with various prep methods. It's like a jumbo mackerel or a small tuna. If you want to try grilling it like you would any thick fish steak, perhaps the Egg will do it justice. I just don't know what to tell you though on time and temp. You might search for fresh tuna recipes on the forum to get some ideas.
  • Fishkiller
    Fishkiller Posts: 42
    Options
    Citizen Q,
    Amberjack is a saltwater fish very prevelant in the gulf of mexico but also occuring in most of the worlds great tropical and temperate seas. Taste wise, they aren't too "fishy" if fresh, they have firm flesh that is white.
    I only eat amberjack that has been caught within 6-7 hours and it is pretty decent (it goes straight from the boat to my egg). I cook it several different ways.[p]Soak the filets in italian dressing for about an hour, salt and pepper well then throw them on the egg. I usually make an aluminum foil "pan" rather than the cooking sheet most people use. leave just a little dressing in the bottum of the "pan". You should get the temp between 350-400 don't worry about turning it during cooking, it will be ready after @15 minutes for a 1" thick filet, you will be able to "flake" it apart easily with a fork.[p]Another way that is easy is to rub a lot of butter all over the filet, get some Lipton recipe secret herb and garlic and sprinkle it very liberally over the filet cook it the same way as above.[p]Another way is to smother it in a peach or apple chutney and sprinkle a little Tony Chachere's creole seasoning on it then cook the same way as above. [p]I've got a million ways to cook fish, I often go spearfishing weekly and cook everything the same day it is speared, what I don't cook I give to friends/neighbors.[p]Believe it or not, you can take the first recipe and throw it in the microwave for 1.5 to 2 minutes and it turns out better than you would ever believe-great if your 70 miles offshore and want a quick snack.[p]If you can ever get your hands on Hogfish (the snapper variety) or Snook, get it...IMHO the best tasting fish.[p]fishkiller

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    fishkiller,
    Thanks for the info on amberjack. Got some ordered for Wednesday, fresh. I'll follow your suggestion on cooking.
    Clay

• tinman
    tinman Posts: 86
    Options
    Mike Dodd,
    fishkiller had great suggestions, although not the BGE way, I prefer my amberjack blackened.[p]I cook a lot of fish on alder planks. covers all fishy taste and adds sweet taste.
    jorge

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Clay Q,
    Who did you order from? I'm looking for fresh grouper.[p]Thanks Mike

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,
    My butcher at Jacobs Meat Market way up in the charming hamlet of Appleton WI is supplying amberjack. You'll have to hitch a ride on the space shuttle if you want it fresh.[p]Good fresh fish is hard to come by up here unless I'm on Lake Superior or Lake Michigan. Sorry, can't help with grouper.
    Clay

• Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    Mike Dodd,[p]My wife is a native of the gulf coast. I have eaten Amberjack many time and offer the following suggesttions:[p]All fish is better if it is fresher.[p]Amberjack is a great fish sprinkle it with Lemon Pepper and grill at 375 till done. Or blacken it with Paul's blackining seasoning and blacke in a cast iron skillet. If you blacken it go streight to a bun with cole slaw and tarter sauce, allowing the bun to soak up the oil and spices. [p]As to a good source for seafood do a search for Joe Patti's in Pensacoala. I understand he is doing quite a bit of internet business these days.
  • BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Mike Dodd,
    I used to smoke amberjack for a friend in Miami. Be careful. In the warm months they can be kind of wormy. I would smoke up a bunch and Raphael would make up some wicked smoked fish dip.