Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Replacement - Acetone Help?

Options

Bought the high heat replacement gasket. My little worry is when using some acetone like the video shows, it seems to kinda slip a little and run down the inside of the egg. Not a lot of acetone by any means, just a little. But I know how we are all worried about never using lighter fluid. Just wondering if acetone will hurt the egg or make it taste funny or have a funny smell? Or is acetone harmless to the egg once it dries?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't worry about it.  Acetone is super volatile, it'll evaporate fast and leave no reside (except maybe the adhesive you're removing). The bad thing to get in your egg is lighter fluid - which is a bunch of light oils, like kerosene.  Don't use that.  Don't sweat the acetone.  
    Thanx NoLA....and I am in Dallas, Big Game this weekend! haha
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    We might suck this year, but we didn't suck last week against Tampon Bay!!! Shut-out!  whooop whooop  who dat!
    Options
    Acetone didn't work for me. I've read where it comes off easier when the egg is warm. I used a palm sander.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I consider the acetone (or some other solvent) necessary to remove the oil more than the adhesive.  The egg is covered in fat, grease and oil.  That stuff is what keeps your new gasket from staying on.  If that adhesive doesn't come off by scraping it, or sanding it, it's a good substrate for a new gasket.  But the oil is invisible and it will make the new gasket adhesive fail. 

Henapple - you're spot on - heat up the egg and the old gasket comes off easier.

Cowboys will fold, and NO will roll. But I will still yell for my boys. Just finished installing the gasket, looks good.