Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone familiar with Polymer tables by Werever ?

I'm buying my first BGE and since my patio is exposed to salt air in Florida I do not want a wood table.  The ones from Werever look very functional & weather resistant; but someone mentioned that polymer cannot withstand the high heat of the egg.   Anyone have any suggestions for a newbie?  thanks!

Comments

• As a general rule, I agree the polymer would not be able to handle the Egg's high temp or the high temp of things like a DO (dutch oven) that come out of the Egg.  I've seen tables on this forum with concrete tops & stone tops.  There's a few SS tables that might fit the bill, too.  They're pricey, but you only buy them once.  There's some Florida Eggheads here, maybe they can help.
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    They use HDPE - melting point 266F.   Use a trivit for hot stuff.   I can't find any reports of their egg tables melting. 
  • thanks - I appreciate your help.  I've seen the stainless ones but since I'm on a canal with salt water and very close to the ocean, anything made of metal corrodes.  I may start with the nest and keep looking. 
  • Patty you might find this link interesting. http://www.bubbatim.com/Product_Review_Q2W2.php
    My original table was cypress that last about 4.5 years in the TX sun a heat. I bought the SP SS table and I have been very happy with it. I especially like how easy it is to clean. I only cover the egg and table if there is a hailstorm threat, otherwise it is exposed to the humidity, wind and dust of central TX.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx

• I bought the SP SS table and I have been very happy with it. I especially like how easy it is to clean.
    What is the SP SS table?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Southern Specialties Stainless Steel table.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I went with slate...I think a natural stone or granite well hold up well. Check into different hardwoods...ipe is a good one.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Southern Specialties Stainless Steel table.
    I found it online...looks very nice, but holy crap it's expensive.  $1500 or $2500 depending on whether you want powder coated steel or all stainless.
  • yep, not cheap but will last longer than the wood one did.  Did you price the polymer ones and you still have to buy the top.  Did you read the Bubba Tim review?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Mine is ipe and slate...it will last. $550 in it plus a few beers.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501

I picked the head of an R&D owner  who engineers composite decking and siding about the heat put out by an BGE. He said it would not be wise to do so for a top.

What my objective was , was to get some freebe material to build some outdoor funiture and an egg table for myself and take him a finished piece back.

Wellll,no such luck.

Has anyone used white oak?

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500

Morning Pattypilot:

I had my outdoor kitchen made by Werever in 2006 and LOVE them...the cabinets have stood up to the weather just fine...I had the tops made from Silestone and other than fading some, they are doing well...I would definitely recommend Werever for outdoor cabinetry (and the company was great to work with)...here is a link to the ODK being built...http://mysite.verizon.net/respulq1/index.html

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Thanks everyone for your advice. My egg is coming any minute, will start with the nest until I figure out what table to get. Will update everyone soon,