Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets talk turkey!

2»

Comments

• @_Griffin. The Home Depot in Frisco has apple and cherry chunks. Just left there.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

@griffin

that bird and sausage is killing me....that is sweeeeet!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• I did a Mad Max Turkey last year and not only was it the best Turkey I've ever done on the egg, but the best Gravy ever! http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • I have cooked several breasts and turkeys last year on my Large BGE and found that plate setter up with drip pan and turkey direct on the grill works great. I stayed in the 325-350 range on temp and end results were fantastic! I used Dr. BBQ video and recipe and did a little spin on it. Best turkey I have ever had. I fried for 10 plus years prior to the BGE and will never go back.
    Large BGE and Weber Summit 670 on the weekend.  Blowing smoke out of the jet engines during the week!
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    do you season the turkey with anything on the outside?
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Griffin said:
    Where are you finding chunks of cherry @Plano_JJ? I've only found chips.
    Griffin, Hirsch's is loaded with Cherry and everything else. They have wood I would have never dreamed you would smoke with. Went by there today.
  •  I prefer my turkey without smoke. The first year I did a turkey, I used some cherry wood and found it to be to smokey in flavour.  This year I did it (earlier Canadian Thanksgiving) with just the lump charcoal, no smoke and got a lot of compliments from the relatives. Cooked two 15lbs'ers on the xl egg, placed on roasting racks in a drip pan on the plate setter without the grill.

If you like it smoked, knock yourself out, if you don't, there is no shame.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • Some GREAT recommendations.  I have also brined the turkey and do think it is the best way to go.  The air Drying step also helps with a much crispier skin.  I also typically flip the bird when I do it in the oven.  Agreed on all these points.  Does it make any difference when doing it in the Egg?  

Also, have any of you had a problem with Charcoal that has too much smokey flavor in it?  I bought a bag of Cowboy Charcoal and it was too strong of a smoke flavor.  The bag said it was flavor neutral, but I was tasting hickory flavoring for days.  

I bought some Big Green Egg Charcoal to compare.  Needless to say, I am worried about turkey jerkey.....

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    IsCornell said:
    Some GREAT recommendations.  I have also brined the turkey and do think it is the best way to go.  The air Drying step also helps with a much crispier skin.  I also typically flip the bird when I do it in the oven.  Agreed on all these points.  Does it make any difference when doing it in the Egg?  

Also, have any of you had a problem with Charcoal that has too much smokey flavor in it?  I bought a bag of Cowboy Charcoal and it was too strong of a smoke flavor.  The bag said it was flavor neutral, but I was tasting hickory flavoring for days.  

I bought some Big Green Egg Charcoal to compare.  Needless to say, I am worried about turkey jerkey.....

I tried the cowboy charcoal and thought it smelled like I had a bad stogey burning in the egg. The best for me has been Ozark Oak. Stuff smells wonderful and that smoke is as blue as the sky coming out of there
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    IsCornell said:
    Some GREAT recommendations.  I have also brined the turkey and do think it is the best way to go.  The air Drying step also helps with a much crispier skin.  I also typically flip the bird when I do it in the oven.  Agreed on all these points.  Does it make any difference when doing it in the Egg?  

cowboy is very neutral in my opinion, where I live its basically that or kingsford unless you want to pony up for bge brand.  let it burn clean is key.  clean all old ash and lump out (dont want any old drippings or wood in there) and let it burn clean at desired temp for at least 30 minutes to get the fire burning well and to get rid of any new lump taste.  
  • SO do you guys agree on 12-15 min per lb at 325-350?
  • Eggucated said:
    I did a Mad Max Turkey last year and not only was it the best Turkey I've ever done on the egg, but the best Gravy ever! http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

I am trying it this year except I am also adding in a brine.
    Boom
  • is there anything that can be used as a white wine substitute for the Mad Max Turkey?