Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd try on baby back ribs, need suggestions

i'm having some friends in town (new guinea pigs) this weekend & i'd like to cook them some baby back ribs.  my 1st try on the egg was car wash mike's & they were pretty good, but i'd like to try something different this time.  i'm thinking of using mustard, red eye express & spraying w/ apple juice throughout, & finish w/ 12 bones blueberry chipotle bbq sauce.... i'm torn if i should try raised direct at 300 or just do 225 again w/ a plate setter.  Any suggestions? 

Comments

• 250-300 indirect with water (or whatever you want) filled drip pan. I made little tin foil balls so drip pan was not directly on plate setter.

Apple/cherry wood are my flavored of choice. Last smoke I did 2 racks and did one 3-2-1 method and the other just sitting in inverted V Rack. Both turned out about same. Experiment! It's only your second try!

Also, St. Louis style has become my go too for guests.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2012
    This is what I do for Baby Backs or Spares.  Use the wood of your choice.  I usually use peach wood.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144307/my-turbo-ribs-tonight#latest
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    Try www.amazingribs.com I live by some of his info.  The recipe he has for last meal ribs is a really good place to start.  My only complaint with the guy is that he doesn't like BGE, but his recipes and science behind techniques are pretty awesome.  Good reading.
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Have not heard of many people doing ribs raised direct at 300.  Seems like they migth burn way before they cook tender.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    My $.02 is to keep it an indirect cook for the most part.  Perhaps you could consider switching to direct when you add the sauce.  I would think this would get em nice and carmelized.  That sauce sounds really good to me...but I imagine it has a good bit of sugar so just keep an eye on it that it doesn't burn. 

BTW...love AshVegas! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• thanks folks, appreciate the feedback.  I think i'll try this:

225 dome temp, plate setter legs up, no rib rack, mustard, rub, then finish w/ 12 Bones' sauce... 

i'll send pics, thanks again.

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    Sounds good except for the 225 dome temp. Go 250, indirect, much easier to maintain that temp. I have done them like this, no foil or spritzing, Just saucing for the last hour with good results. Use the bend test to check for doneness.
  • finally made the ribs, here's what i did;

put rub on two hours prior to cooking.  coated in oil, then red eye express.  cooked over pecan in a rib rack for five hours at 225 w/ plate setter legs up.  tried three different bbq sauces on them and taste tested.  we all thought the 12 bones sauce was the best.  they turned out great, thanks to all for your advice.

imageimage
  • Salivating over picking my xl egg up and trying it out......I'm still having issues parting with my iron pit I built myself, entire pit is 1/2 in metal been having for six years but never could get it to 500F but it has been a good pit but time to adapt.

• spgseth said:

Salivating over picking my xl egg up and trying it out......I'm still having issues parting with my iron pit I built myself, entire pit is 1/2 in metal been having for six years but never could get it to 500F but it has been a good pit but time to adapt.

I'll take it off yer hands
    ;;)

Steve 

Caledon, ON