Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Day Practice Run (Pics)

Had to smoke a turkey breast this weekend for a little "practice" before Thanksgiving.  Also did Brunswick Stew with some left over pork butt that I've had frozen for a few days.     

Rubbed w/ Bad Byron's & brined over night

Smoked w/ Hickory, Pecan & Wicked Good WW

Sliced Up

The stew

"Spoon Test"

Served up with some good ole plain white bread

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks great! How was your practice run? Looks good but how did the turkey taste? Juicy?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Yes, it was very moist & juicy...brining makes all the difference in the world to me.  I have done a lot of turkey breasts (this was my first on the egg) and they usually turn good but the brine takes it to another level.  I have brined ribs & butts before without a noticeable difference but I'll never do poultry again without brining.  Bad Byron's was a very good flavor with the turkey.   
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    There are two of my favorites in one meal! This year will be my first turkey on the Egg and I am looking forward to it very much.

The first time I brined my turkey 4 or 5 years ago I said the same thing. I will never cook another turkey without brining it. 

Once again nicely done, I wouldn't know where to start first.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Stew looks delish and perfect for a meal in this kind of weather. Will have to try the brining thing, how long and your brine recipe ??  WDE

Opelika, Alabama
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Congrats on your turkey breast. Stew looks good, but I've never had it before, not really a Texas thing. Would be interested in trying it, though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I only brined it for about 12-15 hours & it was frozen when I put it in.  I would prefer to do it more like 24 hours but it still made a big difference.  I actually did it in the kitchen sink which worked really well.  I used vegetable stock (one box/container), kosher salt (about 2 cups), white & brown sugar, a little honey, rosemary, thyme, & sage.  Used my emersion blender to mix it really well and added about half a bag of ice. 

Griffin, you can’t beat a good Brunswick Stew when it’s done right!    

• Two great looking cooks.  Congrats!
    Brighton, IL (North East of St. Louis, MO)
  • I only brined it for about 12-15 hours & it was frozen when I put it in.  I would prefer to do it more like 24 hours but it still made a big difference.  I actually did it in the kitchen sink which worked really well.  I used vegetable stock (one box/container), kosher salt (about 2 cups), white & brown sugar, a little honey, rosemary, thyme, & sage.  Used my emersion blender to mix it really well and added about half a bag of ice. 

Thanks for the brine info.

Opelika, Alabama

Thanks for the brine info.
    I second Buck's "Thank you" because this sounds like something I'm gonna try!! 
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    more info on the stew!  i gotta try this one
  • Wow, looks great. The stew in particular has my mouth watering. Thanks for sharing!
  • War_Eagle_2244
    War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 122
    edited November 2012
    I found a recipe online & tweeked it until I got it the way I liked it.  This is what I came up with.  I typically put the meat from an entire butt in the stew.  I had a lot of frozen left over that I used for this batch. 

Brunswick Stew

Sauce:
    In a 2 quart sauce pan, over low heat, melt ¼ cup of butter then add:
    1¾ cups Catsup
    ¼ cup French's Yellow Mustard
    ¼ cup white vinegar

Blend until smooth, then add:
    ½ tablespoon chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
    ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
    ½ oz. Liquid Smoke
    1 oz. Worcestershire Sauce
    1 oz. Crystal Hot Sauce or ½ oz. Tabasco
    ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Blend until smooth, then add:
    ¼ cup dark brown sugar

¼ cup honey
    Stir constantly, increase heat to simmer (DO NOT BOIL) for approx. 10 minutes.
    Makes approx. 3½ cups of sauce (set aside - to be added later).

The Stew:
    In a 2 gallon pot, over low heat

melt ¼ lb of butter then add
    3 cups small diced potatoes (or 1 bag of frozen hash browns)
    1 small/medium onion finely chopped
    2  14½ oz. cans of chicken stock
    Smoked Pork…a lot

Bring to a rolling boil, stirring until potatoes are near done, then add:
    2   14½ oz. cans stewed tomatoes
    The prepared sauce
    1 small bag frozen corn

2 tablespoons liquid smoke
    2 rolls of frozen creamed corn

Slow simmer for 2 hours

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited November 2012
    With apologies to War Eagle, I moved the post I had here. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete this post. I was trying to be helpful and share a blog I wrote on brining. But I don't want to hijack his cool thread on two of my favorite foods-brined grill roasted turkey & Brunswick Stew. Here is the link to the relocated post.

3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks like good info, Jim.  I will assimilate borg-style tonight.  Need to start attendin' to dinnah right about now.
    thanks for the recipie