Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pan?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting close to buying a BGE but I have a few questions. When smoking say two butts, what happens to all of the drippings? In my WSM they are caught in the empty water pan and don't reach the coals. Do you use a drip pan? If so, then do you need the plate setter? -RP

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    AZRP,[p]When I cook a butt I place it on a v-rack and the v-rack inside an aluminum drip pan.[p]Some place the aluminum drip pan on grill with another grill ontop the drip pan and the butt on the second grill.[p]I try to save the drippings when I can, to use in Brunswick Stew.[p]Regards,
    Jethro

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    AZRP,
    I am sure that there are several different ways to do it but i have found that an inverted platesetter with drip pan is invaluable in not only lo and slo but roasting as well

• Unknown
    Options
    AZRP,
    If I were you , I would not buy an Egg. It will make you grocery bill go up drasticly. [p]Jerry

• Unknown
    Options
    AZRP,i do what Jake42 said. I have some stainlees pans I use at home but at contests I use the aluminum throw away pans that I get at Sam's or B.J.'s. I put about an inch of water in the pan to keep the grease from burning in the pan and making the wrong kind of smoke for the cook.

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    AZRP,I use a 12" alom pizza pan for drippings. It fits perfectly inside the plate setter

• Unknown
    Options
    Poppasam,
    That sounds like a good plan. The sales guy at BBQ's Galore told me that you don't need anything and the hot coals just burn up the fat. I don't think he understood "low and slow". -RP