Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? on Flanken Beef Ribs

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited October 2012 in EggHead Forum
Picked some of these up yesterday at Sam's without any thoughts or clue on how to do them. Tried looking up recipes or how to cook them, but most are for Korean or bulgogi. Nothing wrong with that, but are there any other ways to prepare them? Was thinking of making them for my parents, but they are not always very advernturous when it comes to food. Any and all help will be appreciated.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Grif, They are a section of ribs from the chuck so they aren't going to be tender without a long slow cook or a braise. Ive had them where the meat is cut away from the bone with just a thin strip left attached. The meat was then pounded and then marinated in a buglogi prep. Then grilled. One gut at a Toronto fest a couple of years ago had them cut like a quater inch thick. He marinated them in beer, soy sauce and sugar and put them on a hot egg for twenty seconds or so per side.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Even an unadventurous eater might like them Korean galbi style. If you're looking for recipes, galbi and bulgogi marinades are almost identical. It's a great dish. A bit sweet, a bit salty - delicious.

If not, just marinade them over night in something they'll like then grill them up hot and fast. Just enough on each side to get a bit of char and you're golden.

Little Steven's idea of beer, soy sauce and sugar sounds good. But if you think they'll like that, they might like it Korean style. 

Here's a great recipe (there are loads of other great Korean recipes there if you're interested at all):

You may only need the marinade recipe and grilling. The rest (dipping sauce, veggies, etc) are for if you are going to eat it ssam style.
    Jimi

• Can't help with the freakin' flanken, but you made me hungry for Chinese BBQ ribs.  Off to the freezer to hunt.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    jimi1234 said:
    Even an unadventurous eater might like them Korean galbi style. If you're looking for recipes, galbi and bulgogi marinades are almost identical. It's a great dish. A bit sweet, a bit salty - delicious.

If not, just marinade them over night in something they'll like then grill them up hot and fast. Just enough on each side to get a bit of char and you're golden.

Little Steven's idea of beer, soy sauce and sugar sounds good. But if you think they'll like that, they might like it Korean style. 

Here's a great recipe (there are loads of other great Korean recipes there if you're interested at all):

You may only need the marinade recipe and grilling. The rest (dipping sauce, veggies, etc) are for if you are going to eat it ssam style.
    Jimi

I've been following Maangchi for years. Excellent stuff!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Are your flanken ribs thin, a half-inch or less? I would second the Korean approach. But I suppose BBQ sauce would work, too. The Korean approach is good because you can stuff small pieces into lettuce with vegetables and maybe noodles, and you don't notice the toughness. English cut (along the bone instead of against it) is almost always braised. They are extraordinarily good, but fatty. I let mine sit overnight in the cold to skim the fat.  
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia