Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finished My Table

Options
BakerMan
BakerMan Posts: 159
edited September 2012 in EGG Table Forum

After nine months of "Egging" 1-3 times a week I finally felt I was ready to design a table.  I live in Northern Virginia so cedar and Redwood are not easy to come by so I decided to use non-treated pine from Home Depot.  I wanted a solid, sturdy top so I edge-joined 2 x 12s (thanks to my friend Steve!) for a top that measures 71 x 31 inches.  After using an Egg with side tables I decided I wanted plenty of table space when cooking.

I started with the basic Egg table plans and then looked at all the table design pics on the Naked Whiz site to collect ideas.  The result is a mixture of several styles,  The table top is shifted to the right to create an overhang.  I used the two-tier swing rack from Ceramic Grill Works and wanted to make sure I had table under the top rack when I swing it out.  The overhang provides a nice place to hang tools and I added a single hook in the center to hang a hot grate until it is cool enough to place underneath.  I originally had planned on a single shelf but once I built the table legs I realized I could get one more shelf at the very bottom for additional storage.  The right leg has brackets to hold an umbrella on the back side of table.  During construction all wood joints were glued as well screwed together.  The table is finished with three coats of exterior grade polyurethane.

I cooked an 8 lb. pork shoulder overnight to break it in.

Finished Table

Almost Done...

Left Side

Right Side

Shelves

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"

Comments

• Onegrecook
    Options
    I like it...very nice!
  • dantesinferno
    Options

I thnk it's a great table. Very functional and clean.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Very nice.  How did you attach the top to the base?  Soft woods expand and contract with the seasons across the grain.  If you screwed it directly in, keep an eye on it so if you start getting bulging from expansion or separating of your joined edges from contraction, you can always re-fasten it with sliding hardware.
  • BakerMan
    Options

Thanks for the comments.  I cooked some burgers tonight after work.  It was nice having space to work and all my "stuff" in one place.

@nolaegghead - I used inverted "L" brackets on each 4 x 4.  I then used a screw/washer combo from the bottom.  Hopefully the screw can move in the bracket enough to prevent splitting and there is some flex in the brackets.  Also every piece of wood was sealed on all 6 sides with poly urethane so hopefully that will help to minimize expansion/contraction.

BakerMan - Purcellville, VA "When its smokin' its cookin', when its black its done"
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    BakerMan said:

Thanks for the comments.  I cooked some burgers tonight after work.  It was nice having space to work and all my "stuff" in one place.

@nolaegghead - I used inverted "L" brackets on each 4 x 4.  I then used a screw/washer combo from the bottom.  Hopefully the screw can move in the bracket enough to prevent splitting and there is some flex in the brackets.  Also every piece of wood was sealed on all 6 sides with poly urethane so hopefully that will help to minimize expansion/contraction.

Sounds like you did it right!