Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I build a Composite or "Trex" table?

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Considering building a composite Egg table for my large, made of the same material as my deck. Love the deck. Low maintenance and all that. Thought an Egg table of the same stuff would be nice. Of course concerned about melting it. Saw the melting point of it is 230*. If I left a 2" gap around it and a paver under it, would that be good enough to keep it from melting? Anyone else think of building one like this?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    My opinion, bad idea. I've had ChoiceDek decking for 6-7 years. Once, years ago, I dropped the top of a weber kettle (pre-egg days) on the deck and it scorched instantly.

I wouldn't use the composite material for anything near heat. Just my opinion, good luck.
  • PhilOsh
    PhilOsh Posts: 84
    Options
    The composite decking melts pretty easy. It is also not structural, so should not be used in a weight bearing situation. I think the heat would migrate through your paver and eventually compromise the composite decking under the egg. It doesn't sound like a good idea to me anyway.
    Phil
    Options
    That's what I figured, but thought it could work. How about Cypress? Looking for a low maintainence solution.
    Member since 2009
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    We have a Trex deck and love it but Trex does not like grease
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I had Meadowcreek BBQ (a local BBQ store) custom make my table out of Azek composite material to match my deck. I have had it for a year now and it has worked out great.

The BGE sits on a thick firebrick on the little green egg feet.

I haven't seen any melting or problems with holding the weight.

Here is a picture
    DSC06040.jpg
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
    Options
    Yea I didn't figure the weight would be an issue. I'm over 200 and I don't break the deck. How much does an Egg weigh, 150 or so? More concerned about the heat issue and it melting. I have some scraps from the deck. I could give them a torch test with the weed burner. I think if heat were an issue the wood tables would have problems too.

Shiff, I like your design. Do you have any plans you'd mind sharing?
    Member since 2009
    Options
    Shiff wrote:
    I had Meadowcreek BBQ (a local BBQ store) custom make my table out of Azek composite material to match my deck. I have had it for a year now and it has worked out great.

The BGE sits on a thick firebrick on the little green egg feet.

I haven't seen any melting or problems with holding the weight.

Here is a picture
    DSC06040.jpg

I reread your post where you said you had it made for you. If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost? Looks great. I am planning on having a cabinet maker that I do alot of business with build me one, and a dry bar for in the house.
    Member since 2009
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    thailandjohn wrote:
    We have a Trex deck and love it but Trex does not like grease

That would have been my first concern too.
    Options
    I have some 4" green square tiles leftover from a back splash project the previous owner did in the kitchen. I was thinking of having the tiles laid in as the top. The color of the tile is very close to Egg green, so I was thinking I could have a composite table with a green tile top.
    Member since 2009
  • swbouton
    Options
    I'd really lik to have a table like this one, but I am concerned about melting the material.  I intend to do some steaks at 750.  How hot have you taken your egg with the new table?