Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket done wayyyyy early

Options
EddieK76
EddieK76 Posts: 416
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
Had one of those briskets that just had a mind of it's own.  FInished in 9 hours as opposed to the 12-14 I had planned plus an additional 2 hour cooler rest.  With that being said it's 7.5 to 8 hours away from eating time...Anywhere from 4-6 hours in the cooler okay?   It'll eventually have another brisket in with it.  Right now it's wrapped tightly in foil and wrapped with 3 towels in a cooler.  

If not should I put it in the oven on the lowest I can get it with some apple juice in the foil or something?
Large BGE

Comments

• jeffcaputo
    Options
    Not sure Eddie, but I read long as internal temp is above 150 you are safe to eat the meat. you have the opposite problem as me, when I just woke up my fire had died out even though I was using a CyberQ, now I hope mine gets done in time.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I don't know how good it will be, but it certainly can be kept edible. The safety limit is 140F, and the food can safely be held under that for another 2 hours. Instead of apple juice, I'd melt some butter, and mix it w. hot beef broth.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,405
    Options
    I've done the beef broth deal but like gdenby's idea of mixing some butter in as well-warm up the cocktail before adding to the brisket so it helps temperature retention.  You should be fine time-wise.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.