Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone smoked Pork Butt and later Ribs at the same time?

impag10
impag10 Posts: 66
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to make 3 racks of ribs and around an 8lb bone in butt for a cookout saturday.  I have a large BGE and have smoked butts and ribs before, but never aiming for the same party.  Anyone have any idea's, will the rack extenders do the trick?

Can't really start the butt until around 6pm Friday when I get home for work and guessing that will take about 16-20 hours at 225 band I use car wash mike's recipe for the ribs, so that's about 5 hours.  Aiming to pull the food out saturday around 3:30-4.  I have put covered butts in a cooler with towels over it to keep it warm, but just trying to find a backup plan in case it's not done and the ribs need to go one.  Thanks all!

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I don't think that it will take near that long.  I did 2 ten pound butts last weekend at 260 degrees and they were done in 10 hours.  Came out perfect!  Pulled them when the thermapen said they were at 182 degrees.  I thought they would not be done but the fork test proved that they were.  There is no reason to cook at 225 - pork butt can be done all the way up to 300 or higher.  It is very forgiving.

I have wrapped pork butts in foil and put them in a cooler with towels for 8 hours.  They were still too hot to handle!  Don't be afraid to finish the butts 5 hours earlier than dinner is planned and then put your ribs on the egg.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• impag10
    Awesome thanks QDude!
  • I would foil Butts at 160 internal temp and take them to the oven to finish off at 250/300 depending on how quickly you need them finished.  Ribs would have the Egg all to their selves.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• What kind of racks do you have? Don't happen to have an adjustable
    Rig do ya? Or a woo extender. This could be easily done with a AR.

Butt on when ya get home, then put ribs on around 10.

Do you have maverick or temp probes?

XLBGE 
  • impag10
    edited August 2012
    I have a maverick with 2 temp probes, only racks I have are the standard one and cast iron but could pick something up at a dealer near by.  What's the adjustable rig or woo extender?  Also now the old lady thinks I should cook 2 butts due to the amount of people coming, if I do 2 8-10lb does it taker longer than 1?
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Two butts should not take any longer than one, however don't be surprised if one finishes faster than the other. Measure temps individually and FTC the first one done while the other finishes.
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Be sure to take the butts out of the fridge an hour before they go on the egg.  You should have no problem doing 2 at the same time.  Might take a few minutes longer but not much.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    I was just thinking about doing the same recently. Smitty's idea seems like it would work well. AR would allow you to both at the same time, but as you said you don't have one. What I had planned to do was finish the butt, crank up the temp to 350 and do some "turbo ribs" for 2 hrs. While the butt rests in foil.
    George
  • schwaggy
    schwaggy Posts: 17
    I just bought an Adjustable Rig R&B Combo from Tom at CGS to solve this exact dilemma for an upcoming cook. Based on the experience I have with the Woo, I'm sure this new gear is going to seriously rock it. He'll ship overnight if you wanna pay the hefty FedEx charge.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Summit sitting lonely in the corner...
  • http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

Check out this stuff. No problem doing what ya want. Just need right stuff.

XLBGE 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I would use bricks to hold up the second rack and start the ribs a four hours or so before you want to eat.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • impag10
    Thanks guys, think I got it all planned out now