Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slanker's Meat and grass-fed beef.

Badong
Badong Posts: 126
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I started Paleo on Saturday so I just placed my first order from a local ranch in North Texas called Slanker's Meats.  They were out of most of their pork cuts and for some reason I forgot to order beef ribs.  Came out to about $177 for the items below with no shipping charges.

Had Central Market GF, ground beef, ground lamb and boneless ribeyes earlier this week.  Pretty tasty but I think CM GF beef is grain finished.  The ribeyes were pretty fatty.

Anywho, any experience with this kind of thing?

==============================
==============================
Qty |  Item Number |  Unit Price |  Ext. Price |  Product Description
============================================================
2    2001             $24.95     $49.90     Tenderloin Filets

2    2006             $12.09     $24.18     Sirloin Steak (Boneless)

1    2008             $17.35     $17.35     Flank Steak

1    2011             $9.56      $9.56      Skirt Steak 1 steak per p

1    2077             $8.99      $8.99      Primal Ground Beef

1    2082             $8.02      $8.02      Breakfast Sausage Biscuit

2    2512             $8.09      $16.18     Fresh Pork Breakfast Saus

2    2511             $7.49      $14.98     Fresh Ground Pork

1    2552             $8.99      $8.99      Smoked Ham Slices

1    2834             $6.49      $6.49      Garlic Isle Macadamia Nut

1    2078             $12.98     $12.98     Ground Beef, 78% lean:  o

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I buy from a place called Rare Cuts all the time.  They do mail order, but fortunately they're based locally so I just go to their store.  Excellent quality - I buy the hanger steak most frequently.  http://www.rarecuts.com/
  • Good luck with the paleo thing.  Been on it for about a year now and have never felt better.  First thing I did when going on it was to purchase a side of grass fed beef and a whole pig.  I was lucky enough to have an empty standing freezer in my pantry which I completely filled up.  So nice to have all that meat ready to go.  I am in Illinois near Chicago and can't tell you how much money it has saved me.
  • Started paleo the same time I got my egg (10 months ago). Having the egg was a huge help, since it greatly expanded my ability to cook delicious meat :) Still looking for a grass fed side of beef. Any of you dfw guys let me know if you know of any good farms in the area.
  • Badong
    Yes the Egg definitely fits right into Paleo.
    Still looking for a grass fed side of beef. Any of you dfw guys let me know if you know of any good farms in the area.
    Here is an overwhelming source of info on healthy foods I found on Robb Wolf's site:

http://eatwild.com/
  • Badong
    Here are some pics of the goods I received from Slanker's.  Overall I'm pretty happy.  It's expensive but I guess I was expecting that since it's not mass-produced meat.  Grass-fed steaks will take some getting used to but then I realize this is what meat is supposed to taste like.  Haven't tried the primal ground beef yet . . .