Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Direct Grill - Close to Lid?

Options
raydefan
raydefan Posts: 8
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I grilled some chicken legs this past weekend and had some issues with a lot of smoke (bad tasting) caused by the fat dripping on the fire. Do you guys close the lid when you are doing direct grills? If the lid was open, I figure the smoke would escape.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If the top is closed, you're regulating the coals with the dampers.  The dripping fat will not flare-up as much, but it'll still smoke when dripping into the firebox.   With the lid up, you're basically giving the fat and coals unlimited air so you'll get more flare-up and it'll be hotter.  If there isn't much fat, it's more likely to burn than smoke with the lid up. 

That said, I try to cook it most of the way while catching the fat in a drip pan then finishing it off direct with babysitting - lid up or down.  That seems to work well for me anyway.
    What would you do on a normal charcoal grill. Let's not complicate this

XLBGE 
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options

What would you do on a normal charcoal grill. Let's not complicate this
    In a Weber kettle, I would build the fire on one side only....then you can cook the chicken indirect, and finish it on the hot side when most of the fat has rendered out.

In the Egg, I usually do chicken indirect with drip pan. Did some thighs the other night direct, raised grid at 400°...didn't care for the taste...they had that burnt fat smoke taste to them.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Raised direct...on top of adjustable rig (up in dome, not felt line). No drip pan, dome closed. Never once noticed bad flavors from smoke from burning drippings.
  • BBQBeerman
    Options
    If your going to cook with the top open why have n egg?
    Life is short,love what you do or do something else
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Raised direct...on top of adjustable rig (up in dome, not felt line). No drip pan, dome closed. Never once noticed bad flavors from smoke from burning drippings.

Same here, I use exactly the same formula with the same results.  In the later part of the cook there is smoke coming from the fat dripping, but I have had zero issues with that causing a bad taste.  I will add that I am not a fan of heavy smoke flavor either, and I still do not notice it.

George

George
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    From the BGE site:  "ALWAYS Cook with the DOMED LID CLOSED"
    edited August 2012
    Options

i cook my chicken direct on a raised grid at 350 I only control the temp with the bottom vent and leave the DFMT completely off. I found that theat keeps the "Bad" chicken fat smell off the cook.

I am now cooking whole chickens indirect at 350 right on the grid, over the plate setter wrapped in foil. no drip pan. top off.  Yes I get some smoke out of the top.  I like driving the neighbors crazy with the smell.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I did a pastrami on Sunday with the bottom vent wide open and just used the DW to regulate the temp.  Like Stike keeps preaching - you only need one vent as a control point.
    Options
    " I only control the temp with the bottom vent and leave the DFMT completely off."

remember, you can't let out any more than you let in.  otherwise your temp will rise.  if you are cooking at 350 with the daisy off and the bottom controlling temps, you let out no more smoke than the guy with the bottom wide open, and the daisy shut down to control the temp.

seems odd at first, but it's just how it works.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    stike said:
    " I only control the temp with the bottom vent and leave the DFMT completely off."

remember, you can't let out any more than you let in.  otherwise your temp will rise.  if you are cooking at 350 with the daisy off and the bottom controlling temps, you let out no more smoke than the guy with the bottom wide open, and the daisy shut down to control the temp.

ok. i understand the physics, but I leave the daisy wheel on the the wife complains, and when it is off, she says it is the best. 

if mom is happy, eveyone is happy, and I get to play with my egg.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• MrCookingNurse
    Options

stike said:

ok. i understand the physics, but I leave the daisy wheel on the the wife complains, and when it is off, she says it is the best. 

if mom is happy, eveyone is happy, and I get to play with my egg.

Please elaborate? What does your wife have to do with the daisy wheel?

I just ment stuff drips on coals on ever other grill. Just cause you have an egg that doesn't change. I don't need an adjustable rig to cook burgers. Just light a fire and cook burgers.

XLBGE 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

with the daisy wheel on, i get more chicken fat smoke taste in the chicken, wtih it off and controlling temp with the bottom vent,  the "bad" taste is nearly non existant. Maybe a placebo effect. but it works. My thought is the smoke escapes rather than circling around in the dome and imparting a taste into the chicken.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Hey, do what works for ya.  Maybe you're on to something.
    Options
    another  vote for why the xl is my favorite egg,  easier to do zones.....over lump or aside lump......

easy to minimize drippings flaring up on lump
    t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.