Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sure fire tasting butt

gastonegghead
gastonegghead Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in Pork
I am cooking for Habitat for Humanity next saturday and have about 70 people coming.  I have done several butts in the past but I really want to nail one for this event.  Anybody got a fail proof, great tasting, go slap your mamma recipe for a butt?  I will be cooking 4 eight pound butts.

XL Egg.....Large Egg.....Every accessory stored in Gladiator Garageworks cabinets.  OH, Im a Egg Dealer!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Rub with whatever.
    Cook at 300 dome, raised indirect to 205 internal temp.

Make a sauce out of apple cider vinigar, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and brow sugar. Bring to a low boil and remove.

Do everything in advance and store your already pulled meat in foil trays with some sauce already poured in. Heat on a grill or in oven just before you serve.

Have cheap burger buns, cole slaw, dill pickle chips, and whatever BBQ sauce you like. I don't use BBQ sauce on this but some folks like it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

• Cook at 300 dome, raised indirect to 205 internal temp.

Can you explain what is a raised indirect?
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    First you need something to block the direct heat from the coals (indirect), Raised just means that your grate is higher than normal, or you have a smaller grate "in the dome".

e.g. If you have a plate setter, grid on top, that is raised, indirect. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • tazcrash said:

First you need something to block the direct heat from the coals (indirect), Raised just means that your grate is higher than normal, or you have a smaller grate "in the dome".

e.g. If you have a plate setter, grid on top, that is raised, indirect. 

Ah, Got it.. Thanks..